Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.45 - LDA or regular trigger ??

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

14.45 - LDA or regular trigger ??

I'd like to get a Para 14.45, in stainless - if I understand it correctly, the standard trigger is pretty much a regular 1911 trigger, and the LDA trigger is, well, an LDA trigger - in addition to the fact that they're not making LDA triggers any more, what are the downsides, if any, to getting an LDA trigger versus a standard trigger? Prices are pretty similar for an LDA versus a regular trigger, from what I can see. LDA trigger parts seem to be available, but I have concerns about doing any gunsmithing myself, or even hiring \ finding a 'smith that works on LDA triggers, given what I've heard is a relatively significant level of complexity. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Posts liked by others
    I support your conclusions. I own one LDA and I have owned a few standard Para double stacks. Parts for the LDA are available today, from only two sources (Sarco and Numrich). Nobody knows how long those parts will last. The LDA mechanism is VERY complex, and totally different from a standard 1911. If something goes wrong, good luck even figuring out which part(s) you need, let along figuring out how to install them.

I have owned my LDA since they first came out, so something over 15 years. The trigger pull is around 4-1/2 to 5 pounds, which is what I think is appropriate for a carry firearm. It seems that most LDAs are (were) in that range out of the box. If you want or need to adjust the trigger pull, I have no idea how to approach doing that. I haven't seen a single article describing how to do an LDA trigger job.

One key point: Para advertised the LDA as being a double action, but it isn't. Dry fire a Para LDA and you get one pull of the trigger. To fire it again, you have to rack the slide. There is no hammer spur to re-cock it for a second strike, and when there was a hammer spur (in the first year they made the LDA) the instructions were very clear that you NEVER cock it by thumbing the hammer. I've never understood why not, because how is that different from racking the slide? But ... that's what they said, and the reason given was that it could damage the mechanism. Mine has the flush, spurless hammer, so I've never been tempted to try manually cocking the hammer.

The standard Para trigger is just a 1911 trigger with a wider stirrup, to fit around the double stack magazine. Working on those is like working on any other 1911.

The only professional gunsmith I knew of who specialized (sort of) in Paras retired last year. And I don't know if even he worked on LDAs.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 30th March 2017 at 05:05.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will probably buy a few LDA parts "just in case" - they don't appear to be too expensive right now. I'm going to be taking a week-long 1911 Armeror's course this Summer at Murray State College - I am pretty sure that they won't cover the LDA trigger, but I am really looking forward to ramping up my personal knowledge about 1911 mechanical functionality and tweaking.

Posts liked by others
    To be candid, a lot of people don't consider the Para LDAs to even be 1911s. On this site we do, for a few reasons:
    • The basic frame and slide are 1911
    • The barrel uses the 1911 barrel link
    • Para also made traditional 1911s (as well as double stack 1911 variants)
    • Our forum owner was a personal friend of the late Ted Szabos, the designer of the Para LDA system

For all that, the Colt Double Eagle is about as much a derivative of the 1911 as the Para LDA, and nobody considers a Double Eagle to be a 1911. My personal opinion is that studying the LDA in depth won't in any way contribute to a better understanding of the 1911.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    I thought that pretty much the only difference between the LDA trigger 1911s and the regular trigger 1911s was the LDA trigger components - what else, in addition to what you mentioned above, is different??

Posts liked by others
    That depends on what you consider to be the "trigger components." Essentially, there is no part of the fire control group that's the same as a standard 1911. The trigger, obviously, is different. The right side of the frame rail is cut away to create a place for the trigger draw bar -- which doesn't exist in a 1911. The hammer is a two-part affair, an "inner" hammer and an "outer" hammer with a small hairpin spring that doesn't exist in a 1911. The sear spring is different, there's a separate coil spring on top of the sear spring that doesn't exist in a 1911, the grip safety is different, and there are several other small parts unique to the LDA that I don't remember (or never knew) the names of.

The bottom line is, learning about the Para LDA may or may not make you the only kid on the block who knows how to work on a Para LDA, but it won't help you one iota when it comes to working on a standard 1911.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd April 2017 at 14:45.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for taking the time to do a detailed, easy to understand explanation. Since I already have some nice longslide Paras, I think I'm gonna focus on getting a 14.45 LDA - something different - and hope that it stays in good shape - I'm leery of the "they don't make parts for them there guns anymore" guns . . .

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    One key point: Para advertised the LDA as being a double action, but it isn't. Dry fire a Para LDA and you get one pull of the trigger. To fire it again, you have to rack the slide.
    I would agree that the above means the gun isn't a DAO pistol, as many might call it. But by the same token, Glocks and most other plastic-fantastics out there are SA pistols, too... and some people may get decidedly unhappy if you point this out to them...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Well, I picked up a 14.45 LDA stainless yesterday in a LGS - for $495 - with the factory box, a 2001 catalog, an LDA instruction booklet, a Para bushing wrench, and with 4 factory magazines - it looks almost new.

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations. If it's from 2001, it will have the vertical slide serrations and other classic details. It's one of the pretty ones, in other words.

Pictures? We like our Paras..!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast