Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most reliable hollowpoints

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc View Post
    Yeah, if you get a copy of the sales flyer, in the fine print it even says it uses the Golden Saber BJHP bullet. It drives me crazy as well that ammo is packaged in ever smaller retail packages, vs the 50 round LEO boxes.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc View Post
    Sorry we were posting at the same time. It is the standard round not the bonded version.
    But "BJHP" is the abbreviation for "Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point." If they are saying the Ultimate Defense uses the BJHP bullet, then it must be bonded. Since that's the direction the industry seems to be moving (because, of course, everyone always needs to shoot through laminated safety glass when they're in a self defense situation), it wouldn't surprise me.

I need to stock up on Golden Saber (the non-bonded variety) while I can still find it.

{Edit}Looking deeper into Remington's web site, one of their [well hidden] ballistic charts calls the bullet "BJHP" but another calls it "Brass Jacketed Hollow Point." So I still don't know if it's the bonded or non-bonded bullet. I'll try to reach someone at Remington to find out.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 1st April 2017 at 09:54.

Posts liked by others
    "Ultimate Defense", "High Terminal Performance"...If the basic design has not changed, please leave the name alone.

Now a person needs to see what they are, and what their performance is like.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Wichaka, you just failed Marketing 101.

If you don't change something, you can't justify jacking the price by an obscene percentage. But ... if you give the old product a catchy new name and a pretty new box, and then package it 20 to the box instead of 25, then you can charge heaps more money because people will think it's a new product. And I wonder how many people actually paid attention to the fact that Golden Saber was packed 25 rounds to the box while all the competition was 20 rounds to the box. My guess is ... very few.

One of the things I liked about Golden Saber (aside from the fact that I never have to worry about feeding) is that it came in boxes of 25. That allows a full load-out from one box -- if you carry 7-round mags, 3 times 7 is 21, plus one for the chamber. If you carry 8-round mags, 3 times 8 is 24, plus one for the chamber. So ... one in the gun and two on the belt. With 20 to a box, now you have to break open a second box just to get a standard load-out, even if you carry 7-round mags.

Based on the price, I'm guessing that the "High Terminal Performance" is nothing more than the old UMC stuff with a generic hollow point bullet ... again, wrapped up in a nice new package with a catchy new name. It probably works as well as Winchester White Box "Personal Defense" ammo, which isn't bad stuff. It's just not "state of the art."
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 1st April 2017 at 17:12.

Posts liked by others
    Brass jacketed hollowpoint is what I understood it to mean. That is the marking on my last box of standard golden saber. The "bonded" variety has a different designation.

My understanding on the HTP is its the classic line that came in the green and yellow box. Better than UMC but as you said not cream of the crop.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Last edited by garrettwc; 1st April 2017 at 20:01.

Posts liked by others
    Getting back to the OP's question. In a 3" barrel gun a standard 230 gr.may not get up to speed to expand a hollowpoint.
    So I would try a box of Speer 230gr. Gold Dots ( Short Barrel), Corbon DPX185, Hornady Critical defense 185 gr. and see what your gun likes.

Another thing with Carry ammo, I recently stocked up on Speer 230 gr Gold Dots for my commander.
    I was able to find them in the 50 round boxes at Ammunition Depot for about the same price as other places charge for the 20 round box.
    So that's like getting carry ammo for half price.

Posts liked by others
    Remington has a "Compact Handgun" version within their newly-designated Ultimate Defense line. The specs for the Compact handgun ammo in .45 ACP are based ion a 3-inch test barrel.

Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    I received an answer, along with some other info. I posted it here: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...m-ammo-changes
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for taking the time to seek out the additional info.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Likes (2) :
    Agent Orange (17th May 2017), condition2 (9th May 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Roger that Semper Fi

Posts liked by others
    FWIW: In all my .45 acp pistols including my Ultra TLE, I carry the Barnes TAC-XPD 185 gr +P. It cycles fine and seems to work, though I've (thankfully) never had to use it for its intended purpose.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/ammunition/tac-xpd/
    333 - I'm only half bad.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast