Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Issue

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Seems like you have got it figured out, so I'll just add I had great success with kimber pro ss 7rnd mags. No hiccups from the ria gi in over 13,000 rnds.

Posts liked by others
    When I started into the magazine selection, I just wanted a flush fit magazine. Strictly my preference. I found the Colt Metalform magazines I
    had would not function reliably. The problem was in the mag catch slot. With so many magazines available at all different prices, where do I start?
    I started with the medium priced ones first (ACT-Mag, and Mecgar) and they worked well with no problems. I stopped there.

I did speak to Arnel, and he explained that many magazines do require fitting to function reliably, and in his opinion, Wilson combat was the best,
    most troublefree, but expensive.

Posts liked by others
    I have been using lots of these in my 1911's including my RIA's. They function perfectly in everything I have.
    Ebay
    1911 8RD Klonimus 45ACP magazine,1911 parts,frame parts,1911 magazine, 45ACP MAGhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-8RD-Klonimus-45ACP-magazine-1911-parts-frame-parts-1911-magazine-45ACP-MAG-/222456290127?hash=item33cb6d9b4f:g:UoQAAOSwdGFY3C1 D

Posts liked by others
    I just learned something interesting re: the RI 8-rnd mag. I loaded up some brass with Hornady 230g XTP hollowpoints. I set the seat so the length matched the Lyman's 50th max length: 1.275". Today I tried to fire them, and they hung up in the magazine! At the "max" length, the nose of the bullet drags against the forward face of the magazine, creating a very slight but significant bind.
    I re-seated the bullets to 1.270" and they work fine in the magazine. And in the gun, for that matter.
    This is on a RI 1911A1 Tactical.

Posts liked by others
    The SAAMI spec for cartridge length on the .45 Auto is 1.190" minimum to 1.275" maximum. I don't like to push the limit in either direction. I typically load FMJ to 1.250". Even if 1.275" doesn't hang up in the magazine, some guns have a short leade and a max length cartridge might not pass the plunk test.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Interesting, XTPs are rather stubby truncated cones and 1.27" is going to expose a lot of full diameter bearing surface. You must have a generous leade.

Posts liked by others
    Well, guess I'm close to 7 months late to this party.

I bought my first 1911 (a RIA 1911 Rock Standard) around May 2017. While I was waiting for it, did my research on 8 round mags and ended up buying 2 Mec-gar mags. Immediately, the gun had problems locking back the slide after the last round was fired on the factory and Mec-gar mags. Sent it to RIA in Nevada. They repaired it and sent it back. Took gun out to shoot and slide was locking back just as it should.

Last week, went shooting and suddenly the problem happened again but only with the Mec-gars. Factory mag was fine. Funny thing is, when I insert an empty Mec-gar into the gun, pull the slide back and release, the slide locks in place. But when the last round is fired, the slide doesn't lock. How's that for strange?

So, if the slide locks back with the factory mag but not the Mec-gars, does that mean the slide stop is working correctly and that I just need to buy different mags? Will someone with more experience than I please chime in? Here are some pictures of my factory and Mec-gar mags. The factory mag has the silver color follower. TIA!

20180107_184801.jpg 20180107_185038.jpg 20180107_185204.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Most likely time for new mag springs in the mecgars.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Just a guess on my part, but I'd bet it has something to do with that odd ear on the top of the follower. I only have the RI mags and I don't have that problem. At rooughly $25/mag I think the stock RI mags are the best bet.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tongyun59 View Post
    Well, guess I'm close to 7 months late to this party.

So, if the slide locks back with the factory mag but not the Mec-gars, does that mean the slide stop is working correctly and that I just need to buy different mags? Will someone with more experience than I please chime in? Here are some pictures of my factory and Mec-gar mags. The factory mag has the silver color follower. TIA!
    From the picture of the Mec-Gars it looks like the slide stop lug is a bit too short to catch on that follower. I have an Armscor frame with a similar issue that I "solved" using a Wilson Combat 38 Super/9mm slide stop. Of course, having a slightly longer lug on the slide stop presents the opportunity for other issues, namely premature lock back. I lucked out of that but YMMV.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast