Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colt Rail Gun vs Wiley Clap?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    As an example, here's a new line of Colt pistols (all 5" models) that look a lot like the old XSE models, but are called something else:
    http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/...etition-Pistol
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I want a 5" government size , novak or three dot sights, blued or parkerized, itll be a shooter that i also want to be able to carry (no big adjustable sight like the SA RO has) i guess my 1991 fits that but i wanted a beavertail , so really im just wanting a basic Colt 1911 . I dont care about front strap checkering and i dont like front slide serrations but i could get past that pretty easily. The Colt Competition looks neat , what makes it more competition based than say an XSE? Im considering another 1911 after thinking about it but im still unsure.

Posts liked by others
    You're more or less describing the Competition series.

Why call them 'Competition' models (and not XSE)? No idea. They're just not using the XSE moniker any more, and it seems that 5" pistols that might have been called XSE models in the past, are now called 'Competition Series' pistols.

Similarly, 4.25" models with XSE features are now listed in separate pages, and called simply 'Combat Commander' and 'Lightweight Commander'. At least those are self-explanatory, but if you look at their features, they're really just XSE models without the front slide serrations -- just like the 5" Competition models.

The Wiley Clapp 5" model has a checkered front strap, which you say you don't care about, so based on that (and your list of desired features, above) I'd say the Competition models are for you... if the name doesn't bother you!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like it would be great if you could find a well stocked gun store without traveling too far and look at some of the various models.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dakota1911 View Post
    Sounds like it would be great if you could find a well stocked gun store without traveling too far and look at some of the various models.
    It just happens that that's Colt's new marketing strategy. Mid-year in 2016 Colt initiated a requirement that Colt firearms can only be sold through an authorized, stocking dealer network. I don't remember, but I think the initial, qualifying order is ten firearms. If there is a stocking dealer anywhere near you, it certainly makes it easier to compare models -- although even a full stock of ten guns won't cover the entire lineup.

The downside is that small shops, like the two I have dealt with over the years, can't afford to stock ten guns from any single manufacturer, so they are now cut out of selling Colt firearms except on the used side of the market. Colt reports that the new system is working well, so I guess it hasn't hurt them. However, it looks like I'll never be able to buy another new Colt.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    they seem to have backed off the stocking dealer recently my local ffl was able to get me wiley clap govt model

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by dobegrant45 View Post
    they seem to have backed off the stocking dealer recently my local ffl was able to get me wiley clap govt model
    If Colt has backed off, that would be good news for many people. However -- remember that the Wiley Clapp pistols are Talo exclusives. Talo is a distributor. Since Talo has enough buying power to specify their own models, they probably have enough clout to be able to sell to whomever they choose, regardless of Colt's policy with respect to the standard Colt product line.

Personally, I think it was a boneheaded move on Colt's part and I think it's going to have to hurt their sales in the long term. But ... I spoke with several people in the Colt exhibit at the SHOT Show, and they said the new stocking dealer program is working well. But that may have been an initial surge as a bunch of larger stores bought their initial package of ten guns. If those guns don't sell and don't need to be replaced, there won't be follow-up sales, and the slack can't be taken up by sales to small shops who order one gun at a time through other distributors like Jerry's or Lipsey's. The nearest stocking dealer to me is 40 miles, one way, and it's not a shop I even visit with any regularity. I know where it is, but I've only been there two or maybe three times in my entire life. There are two shops that are local to me that I've been dealing with for years. I don't choose to forsake people I know and trust just because Colt decided to change their policies.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I am in a similar situation not close to a stocking dealer, but local guy has sold 21 colts in the month so maybe Colt will recognize this for the future.
    I have both the Wiley Clapp Govt model and a Wiley Clapp CCO both in .45. All my 1911's are colts and I love them but they can be a frustrating company.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12