Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Rail Gun vs Wiley Clap?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt Rail Gun vs Wiley Clap?

Could someone give me a quick rundown on thier specs ? Which one is a higher quality 1911? I dont care about the series 70 or series 80 thing, i just was considering another colt. I care about reliability more than cosmetics im just not sure what the general consensus is on these pistols.

Posts liked by others
    You need to be a bit more specific. There are 5-6 different 'Wiley Clap' Colts out there, in all shapes and sizes.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The Wiley Clap Colts that I have seen aren't any better quality than a standard Colt pistol...just a bit different. Ie grip panels, slide finish etc.
    I do like how they look though.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    I was looking at a 5" government model but im having a hard time deciding between it or the Rail gun.

Posts liked by others
    The Wiley Clapp models are basically standard Colt pistols ordered by Talo Distributors with cosmetic features specified by Wiley Clapp.

The basic question is: Do you want a rail, or not?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    ive never used rails on a pistol. Are both of these just dressed up XSE models then?

Posts liked by others
    The XSE has been discontinued.

There are currently several different Colt 1911s with rails. Your question is impossible to answer without knowing exactly which two pistols you are comparing. That said, if you have never used a rail and you don't intend to use a rail, then probably the rail models aren't the best choice for you.

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Special-...-Clapp-Pistols
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 21st March 2017 at 15:52.

Posts liked by others
    The XSE was what i wouldve got if it was stil available, Are they gonna replace it with a similar model?

Posts liked by others
    Again, which XSE? There were 5" models, 4.25" models, made in carbon steel, stainless, or with alloy frames, in several calibers. XSE was at one time the biggest 'family' of Colts.

If you browse through Colt's current catalog, you'll find several models with XSE-like features.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JF89 View Post
    The XSE was what i wouldve got if it was stil available, Are they gonna replace it with a similar model?
    Probably not. The impression I have from speaking with several Colt representatives at the SHOT Show is that they had too many models that were occupying more or less the same level in the marketplace, so they streamlined the product lineup in order to eliminate overlaps and focus on selling the models that are likely to generate the most sales.

Perhaps if you would explain just what it is you want from a new pistol, our members can offer some recommendations. At the moment, it's not at all clear what you want other than "a new Colt." Your opening post was comparing a rail gun (which one?) against a distributor-special model that wasn't even specified by Colt. That doesn't tell us anything about what you're really looking for.
    Hawkmoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast