Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electronic Scale question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Reading this discussion makes me very happy that I long ago abandoned my electronic scale and reverted to the mechanical beam scale.
    I am fortunate. I never drank the electronic scale Kool-aid.

Or maybe I am just cheap.
    Last edited by coalgeo; 27th June 2017 at 21:19.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    Note that the scale in the video has a resolution (smallest displayed amount) of 0.001g or 1 mg. This equates mathematically to 0.0154 grains, so when set to grains that scale probably has a resolution of 0.02 grains. This is about 5X finer than the usual reloaders scale selling for perhaps US$50 to US$200. The scale in the video has a retail price of US$449 at Scales Galore: https://www.scalesgalore.com/product...id=25480#chart This is a very sensitive scale, more sensitive than needed by all but the most finicky reloader.

The digital scales most of us have are not nearly this sensitive and usually have resolutions of 0.01g and 0.1 grain - perfectly OK for our purposes. Being less sensitive they are less likely to have reading excursions like shown in the video - remember, that last digit you see jumping around is not even present on our run-of-the-mill digital scales when set to Grams.

My little el-cheapo Frankford Arsenal scale does jump a bit when I wave my cell phone around it, but is a little more affected by a fluorescent light with standard ballast. Test yours to see what you have that can cause unstable readings.
    Actual accuracy (precision) is not the same as resolution.

That scale is NOT going to tell you with any kind of reliability 1 mg.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by coalgeo View Post
    I am fortunate. I never drank the electronic scale Kool-aid.

Or maybe I am just cheap.
    They are good for sorting things.
    That is all I ever use mine for.

I worked for many years on precision metrology electronics.

It is as much art as science and engineering.

We use circuits that rely on the ratio of components as much as possible.

t the end of the day you still need to have a very stable reference though.

We generally used frequency for the stable known quantity.

There are numerous painfully precise signals available.

We had equipment that would take days to settle to its final absolute accuracy.

We produced crystal oscillator 'constellations' (groups) that had phase noise that took months to verify.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by brickeyee View Post
    Actual accuracy (precision) is not the same as resolution.
    And accuracy is not the same as precision, as you seem to believe. Accuracy, precision and resolution are three separate things.

• Accuracy is how close the measurement is to the actual value
    • Precision is how repeatable the measurement is.
    • Resolution is the smallest displayed increment of the measurement.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s View Post
    And accuracy is not the same as precision, as you seem to believe. Accuracy, precision and resolution are three separate things.

• Accuracy is how close the measurement is to the actual value
    • Precision is how repeatable the measurement is.
    • Resolution is the smallest displayed increment of the measurement.
    Sorry for using vernacular.

I know they are not the same, thus the reason for often stating both.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234