Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rugers MIM quality?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    The MiM internals on my CMD Commander look to be good quaility.
    The only thing I had a issue with was the hammer strut, which looked to be a cheap stamped sheet metal part.
    Colt's hammer strut was a much better part there.

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Why does the trigger have a light metalic click before the break? Is it the adjustable trigger or something else? Or is it just mine. I can post a video, I suspect it is just how they are. I can only compare it to my Milspec which is not like that.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Why does the trigger have a light metalic click before the break? Is it the adjustable trigger or something else? Or is it just mine. I can post a video, I suspect it is just how they are. I can only compare it to my Milspec which is not like that.
    I would guess that the click is not due to the overtravel adjustment on the trigger. That adjustment controls (limits) the travel of the trigger after the trigger breaks. So the adjustment screw should not be contacting anything leading up to the break.

You can easily check to see if the click is due to some roughness in the interaction between the sear and hammer. Cock the hammer and hold the gun as if firing. Then with your free hand, pull the hammer back as far as possible, beyond cocked. You can now pull the trigger repeatedly, and see if the click is still there. Also, check for the click while pulling the hammer back beyond cocked. The hammer does move back slightly during the "creep" portion of the trigger pull leading up to the break. Possibly something is "catching" during this small movement, and could even be in the mainspring housing. This seems unlikely though, since the movement is so small.

If the click is still there, then that rules out the hammer, or hammer sear engagement as the cause.

One possibility is that the blocking surfaces on the thumb safety and grip safety are not quite providing enough clearance when in the "fire" position. The trigger may be slightly catching on the grip safety blocking surface, or the sear may be slightly catching on the thumb safety blocking surface. Assembling the gun with one of those safeties missing can identify one of them as the cause. On standard 1911's, the grip safety also provides the trigger overtravel limit; one would have to be careful with the grip safety removed. But with the adjustable trigger, the overtravel adjustment will provide that function while the grip safety is removed (assuming it's adjusted correctly).

Or there may be a burr or something inside the frame or on one of the parts. This includes the sear spring. A good inspection of the contact surfaces should disclose the problem in that case.

-

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    When I pull the hammer all the way back, it is still there. The store I bought it from has an armorer. I'm not too concerned. When depressing the grip safety, it makes the same type of noise. Interesting.

I took the slide off and turned on light just out of curiosity. It doesn't click with the slide off.
    Last edited by Nick M; 26th November 2017 at 10:29.

Posts liked by others
    Your observation about it not clicking with the slide off leads me to believe the disconnector is clicking on the slide. However before actually jumping to a "disconnector click " diagnosis, please try pushing down on the disconnector when the slide is off. Does the disconnector seem to pop right back up or does it seem to drag or catch on something after it was pushed down? Oh, also remember never to drop the hammer when the slide is not on the frame.

Posts liked by others
    I changed my mind. I took it off and pushed that disconnector up and down. It doesn't bind or make noise. What I though about is how well sound travels through solids compared to air which is an insulator. While manipulating the trigger slowly, it almost feels like a 2 stage trigger seen in some rifles. While assembled, I think that is what I am hearing. That noise is more easily carried through the slide than not.

Posts liked by others
    Like the Mil Spec, it shoots better than me.

Posts liked by others
    Maybe more information would help.

How Rugers are Made - Part 1 (of 10 or so?)

Fascinating stuff here.

Wax Molding and Gating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBYw1CT2JiU
    Last edited by cavelamb; 3rd December 2017 at 14:56.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast