Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new loadmaster

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

my new loadmaster

I recieved my new loadmaster this weekend. Setup was very basic just setting dies and verifying powder drop. This press came with the pro auto disk powder measure. InitiaIly the powder drop is inconsistant so i put my auto drum on the press. The auto drum is turning out to be very consistent. I suspect i may need to work the auto disk a bit to get the graphite from the powder to get worked in. I believe thats what i read. Getting the thing mounted was the most difficult part. I did the same as my single stage. I mounted it on a 2 x 8. This i cut 22 inches long and mounted it with a 1/4 inch bolt thru the bench. This bolt is about 16 inches from the front of the board. I did also notch the front of the board to set the press back 3/4 inch. 5/16 bolts fasten the press to the board. The whole setup is very stable. Though i do need to recess the washer and head of the bolts later. I did realize very quickly there is a lot to watch while operating the press. 80 rds and off to the range to test. I need more brass

Posts liked by others
    I have heard those load masters need tuning to run well... what do you think? Also, I noticed Lee issued a disclaimer, saying to only use CCI or Remington primers with it, or you need to buy an explosion shield. Are you aware of any issue with primers?

I have been looking for a new press, and there are quite a few new progressive models these days.

Thanks
    "Only accurate rifles (and 1911's?) are interesting", (Col. Townsend Whelen)

Posts liked by others
    Any hardware store should sell powdered graphite lubricant. If you disassemble the powder measure and coat the working surfaces with the graphite, it should help it to smooth out more quickly.

The disclaimer to only use CCI or Remington primers may be related to the design of the primer cups. Some makes have a more squared shoulder which may effect reliable feeding. I've used many different brands in my Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press. Some brands caused minor problems until I beveled the feed bar hole. That, and possibly wear-in, has provided 99.99% reliability with all brands. On the extremely rare occasion that a primer isn't picked up, it's easy to feel it missing on the seating stroke.

Posts liked by others
    Yep I've read the same thing. I'm tuning mine now. As for primers i am using wolf brand, i am not going crazy on the primer depth. I use the depriming die in station one to set my ram height. This will also affect the primer seating depth. So when I jack with this die i must recheck the primer seating. As for primer seating i had a few sideways primers last night. I know what the problem is but lee is the only one that can properly fix it. I noticed that the primer seating head pin is shifting to the outside of the shell plate. My sizing die I have in position 2 is not helping in this case. I got an idea for a hack. I also read that all the hobbyist progressive presses have priming issues to one degree or another. Lee may just be more enthusiastic about being on the low end of the scale.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tom c View Post
    I use the depriming die in station one to set my ram height.
    How does this work? Lee's instructions, if I recall, say to raise the ram all the way and then screw the die down until it makes contact with the shell plate. Then, depending on which die it is, you back off the die by a half to one turn.

I don't understand what you're doing.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I screw station one in until it touches then 1/16 turn more.

Posts liked by others
    While I don't have a Lee Loadmaster, I have to agree with Hawkmoon. Every press I've ever owned calls for the ram to be fully raised with the shell holder or plate installed and the sizing die is then screwed in until it touches the holder/plate. The ram is then lowered slightly, the die screwed in a little more until there is a slight "over the top" felt when the ram is fully up.

As for primer depth, if you find that your primers aren't seating fully, use a hand priming tool to finish seating them.

Posts liked by others
    I'll give you that one but the priming issue has gotten worse. 1 smashed primer in 10 rds. When the primer seat head comes to the top of the stroke it is aproximately 30ths off center. Loosening the case retainer at that station is not consistent.

Posts liked by others
    I contacted lee and they are sending me a new primer feed assembly. Wish me luck

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by tom c View Post
    I contacted lee and they are sending me a new primer feed assembly. Wish me luck
    You've already done what I would have suggested; i.e., contact Lee. Looks like they're taking care of you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast