Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Thanksgiving

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Why can't I find the guide rod hole on take-down?

Posts liked by others

Why can't I find the guide rod hole on take-down?

I took possession of my new SA PC9108LP TRP .45 pistol with A-Kote and tritium front and rear Novak-style fixed combat sights.

I'm very pleased with it.

While I have a few other brands of M1911-A1 pistols with guide rods, I still managed to read the owners manual before attempting to disassemble the pistol to clean and lube it before reassembly and going to range to run hardball through it and be sure it's sighted in for 10 yards.

The slide assy separated from the frame as expected, but when I manually pushed the rear of the full-length guide rod forward to expose the rod hole to lock it open, there was no hole found in the rod, even when I pushed it to its stop and the full rod was exposed at the muzzle.

What am I doing wrong?

rustymusket

Posts liked by others
    Probably nothing. Not all full length guide rods have the hole. Press in on the guide rod plug, rotate the barrel bushing to release it, then remove everything as normal. Just remember it will be under tension so point everything in a safe direction.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Assuming it's a one-piece rod (IIRC SA used two-piece FLGRs at some point, not sure for how long), check to see if the rod is short enough to allow the plug to be depressed, and the bushing to rotate over it, as Garretwc describes.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I'd written a reply last PM, but it didn't appear on the blog. The rod has minimal play (fore & aft), moving less than half the thickness of the barrel bushing, although the guide collar of the rod will depress below the surface of the slide face. I have a neighbor who has a few match bushing tools for hard-to-turn barrel bushings, and I'm hoping to borrow them today and see what happens.
    I've also contacted SA and plan to call them tomorrow for clarification on my guide rod removal and ask why their operational manuals haven't kept pace with the new pistols being offered.

Posts liked by others
    If you remove the slide stop and remove the entire slide assembly first, the guide rod should move back enough to allow the bushing to turn. Be careful, a lot of parts under tension. Some swearing possible.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    On my response this AM, I'd mentioned the guide rod has minimal fore and aft play. What I neglected to mention was this was after separating the slide assembly from the frame. The LGS where I bought the pistol is fortunately one of the larger in the state, they are open today, AND there is a 'smith on duty. I'm on my way with the pistol to have him demonstrate the disassembly of the guide rod and spring. He can do the swearing!
    Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. If I learn anything exciting, I'll share it with the group on my return home.
    rustymusket

Posts liked by others
    Is your model guide rod not the 2 piece style which uses the 5/32" allen wrench? See page 27 / step 2: http://www.springfield-armory.com/wp...11Manual_5.pdf