Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sad news - Caspian PocketSmith

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sad news - Caspian PocketSmith

I was thinking of putting up a post to suggest to readers looking for 1911-related stocking stuffers that the Caspian Arms PocketSmith multi-tool would be a dandy gift for just about any 1911 aficionado. I went to the Caspian web site to get a link to the product and I didn't see it, so I e-mailed Gary Smith, the general manager at Caspian, to ask if it is still available. Unfortunately, the answer is that it is not currently available.

Here's what we're talking about:

http://ezine.m1911.org/Pocketsmith3.htm

It turns out that Caspian had the PocketSmith manufactured in China, and the Chinese company decided that there wasn't enough volume for them to be interested in continuing. So, at the moment, Caspian doesn't have a manufacturing source. It's really a shame, because the second and third generations of the tool (I prefer the second generation, because I don't like half-serrated knife blades) are very useful items to include in a range bag.

Perhaps we can get President-elect Trump to help make America great again by helping Caspian find an Americal company that can manufacture the PocketSmith for a reasonable price.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    That's a shame. I have a Type II myself.

It's one of those things you might throw in a range bag and forget, for a year and a half — until the one time that it saves the day.

There are probably other tools that have the right punches, screw driver heads, allen keys etc, without the bushing-shaped pliers. In my experience, the latter are the least used item in the tool. So it would be possible to make something that's simpler and does the job as well...

the Pocketsmith looks like nothing else, though. And I like that.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I too like the PocketSmith and I am sorry to hear that it's not currently available. As for PocketSmith help from Trump, I suspect that he'll be too busy making the wealthy wealthier and grooming his ego to help get an American manufacturer to make it. (Sorry for the Trump sarcasm - I'm not impressed with the man and I don't trust him!)
    John B
    What goes around comes around.

Posts liked by others
    I guess I made a mistake by trying to be a comedian.

Reminder: We don't do politics here.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I guess I made a mistake by trying to be a comedian.

Reminder: We don't do politics here.
    It's hard to see tongue in cheek on a forum. It's a good idea to not do politics and I think I knew that. Sorry, my comment just slipped out - won't happen again. And, I wish I had gotten another PocketSmith when I had the chance.
    John B
    What goes around comes around.

Posts liked by others
    By some quirk of circumstances, I own one each of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generations of the PocketSmith. The one I like best is the middle one, the PocketSmith II. That said, the one I keep in my range bag is the older, original PocketSmith -- mostly so that if it gets lost or stolen, I won't have lost my favorite tool.
    Hawkmoon