Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Mac OS Safari Autoban trap on m1911.org

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Mac OS Safari Autoban trap on m1911.org

I have determined that using MacOS Safari private browsing when visiting m1911.org can result in an autoban to both m1911.org and ezine.m1911.org. If one visits the technical section, then clicks one of the links - I used the tech sections link to the poor man's trigger job page - one may see a new blank popup that, ordinarily, would contain an associated tech page. After seeing the blank window, the IP making the request ends up on autoban. For those with a dynamic IP with a short duration IP lease, the ban might go away once the requesting machine obtains a new IP lease. However, those with static IPs may stay in autoban purgatory for some time. I suspect one might also be auto-banned if they click on a link to a tech section page when using Safari in private browsing mode. My only observation was for only the one tech section page - obviously. Your experience may differ with other pages. However, consider avoiding Safari's private browsing mode when visiting m1911.org.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the heads up. That should save some folks some headaches.
    " I'm your huckelberry".

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I just tried what I think you describe, and can't get my IP banned. Could you please elaborate, on the steps you take to get your IP blocked?

Start by Open Safari, select "File/New Private Window", then "Do you log in?", then where do you go etc etc.

Thanks
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Hi John,
    I run Safari on two machines both with static IPs. My Safari installations are set to start up with a new private window. I allow cookies from the current website only. I connect to the forum.m1911.org in a regular non-private window but I was not logged in to the forum when visiting m1911.org. Both machines are now banned from www. but I currently have access to ezine and forum, also to .net. The process for the ban was, fresh start Safari, type m1911.org in the private window address bar. The page appears - Click on Technical, Click on Poor man's trigger job. The Popup appeared but the content did not load into the popup. All further attempts to access www.m1911.org have been blocked. I can PM you the last IP that resulted in the ban - it is from my office, and those who know where that is probably know the /16

Connectivity to the office machine is not a great loss as I only visit non-corporate sites when testing..... All that said, one of @works peers is also my home connection upstream.... Hmmm... Surely, not. I am going to make a call to their tech support - just in case.

Posts liked by others
    Soooo. I called my ISP's tech support. They tried the same procedure using IE 11 on Windows 10. No privacy settings enabled. Open m1911, click Tech issues, click poor man's trigger job and were.... blocked and unable to reconnect. They claim not to do any egress filtering. Either the ban is upstream or, well, you know...

Edit: John, it is not your site. It might be your virtual hosting provider. I attempted to make a web connection to other hosts that share the www.m1911.org IP and am also unable to connect to those hosts.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 30th November 2016 at 16:49.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I need to have that IP from where you are trying to access www.m1911.org and get blocked. It certainly is not from the site, since that site doesn't contain any IP blocking code. The forum and the ezine have several "protection" traps, designed to block spammers etc, and an IP can get blocked but not the Home Page site. Send me that (those) IP addresses, so that I can talk with my hosting company. Send them to me either via email, PM whatever.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Thank you John. IP sent in a PM. I believe pblanc had the same issue, evidenced by http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...607#post989607

This problem may even be upstream to your provider. I have seen certain application firewalls and web proxies react strangely at firearm related sites.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 1st December 2016 at 07:04.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    John Caradimas SV1CEC