Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Questions

I am reloading for a one day defense tactics clinic for a cousin.

He has never ran any cast bullets (Boolits) through his Springfield so just to insure all functions fine for him I am going to load ball ammo for him.

My questions are: 1. I have never loaded any 45 ACP that have small primer brass...just follow the load book as if large primersor is there anything I need to know that differs with a small
    primer 45 ACP?

2. I can't see any reason why I can't use my Lyman Type M die with jacketed bullets, is my thinking missing any thing? Any more I just don't like belling my case mouths if I don't have to.

As for myself, I'm loading 185gn Dardas H&G 130's!

Thanks for the responses in advance!
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 11th November 2016 at 16:14.

Posts liked by others
    I have also never loaded .45 ACP with small primers. I also can't recall ever seeing any reloading data that addresses the small primers. Certainly, the flame propagation is going to be somewhat different through the small hole, but I doubt the difference is significant. I think if you're loading to mid-range charges for the bullets and powder you're using, you should be fine.

I can't answer about using the M die -- I use all Lee dies.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I do not load small primers but I use the M die for both ball and cast. Just set the die depth according to the projectile.

Posts liked by others
    I was planning on using the lowest load listed of AA5 for 230gn JRN.

I wonder if a small magnum would be worth while.

Speaking of magnum primers, I don't know if there is any truth to this or not, this is a good place to ask. I have been told by a guy that the only difference between regular and magnum primers is the shape of the anvils....any comments?

I set my Lyman die up to just form enough of a pocket to hold a bevel base LSWC stable when I place it onto the case for seating, lesser is better within reason I guess.

Thanks

P.S. I have never tried any case lube when using carbide sizing dies until today...just might make a habit of it. I sized 500 cases today and they went through real slick, pun intended.
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 11th November 2016 at 22:55.

Posts liked by others
    I compared four loads in .45 ACP large primer and .45 NT small primer cases. Velocity was down by 25-40 fps with small pistol standard primers.
    If that is more than you can spare, magnum primers or a small increase in powder charge will get it back.

I have seen posts reporting no difference, probably different powders than what I had on hand.

Posts liked by others
    Jim,

What does the NT stand for, I saw that yesterday for the first time on the Blazer cases that were small primer pockets my cousin gave me.

Posts liked by others
    Non Toxic. Have you tried priming any of these cases?

Posts liked by others
    Not yet.

I prepped them yesterday and will load them the week of Thanksgiving.

More green ammo...in California I won't be shocked if our ammo can't go bang soon. Maybe we stand a chance at reversing some of the crazy new laws after Tuesday's results.

Posts liked by others
    I have reloaded 45acp small primer brass. I use the same load as with large primer loads.
    N.R.A. BENEFACTOR MEMBER
    ILLINOIS STATE RIFLE ASSOCIATION MEMBER
    Likes (1) :
    woolieworm (12th November 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum, Teddy Bear.
    " I'm your huckelberry".
    Likes (1) :
    Teddy Bear (12th November 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast