Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative lubricant -- I hope you don't think I'm crazy!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Alternative lubricant -- I hope you don't think I'm crazy!

I decided to do a quick break down on my RIA 1911-A1 "Rock Series", wipe it all down again, clean it with Q-tips, and then as seen in the picture, I relubed it, and just reassembled it.

However, I wanted to try to something rather interesting as a lube..

Synthetic trombone slide oil! The stuff is as slick as an ice skating rink and also waterproof. Hmmm... Maybe serious overkill with lubing a 1911, but I figured, "what the heck - let's try it".

Anyone ever use anything besides common gun oil for a lubricant?

Posts liked by others
    Never have. Guess I never gave it much thought, till now.
    " I'm your huckelberry".

Posts liked by others
    Usually silicone based oil. Several brands of gun oil use the same base ... you haven't invented anything new.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ButchA View Post
    Anyone ever use anything besides common gun oil for a lubricant?
    Yes. I mix my own "gun oil," using 5W50 synthetic motor oil and powdered molydenum disulphide. I also use Lubri-Plate for the slide rails, and sometimes for the sear tip.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I assume trumpet valve oil would work too... I've heard of people using 3 in 1 and Vaseline. Personally I keep to the "gun" stuff.

Posts liked by others
    I use Break Free or 3 in 1.

Shooters Choice grease on sear/ hammer hooks and the tip of the hammer stirrup.

Posts liked by others
    I've tried other oils, but after them I always return to BALLISTOL.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Eezox for me, for over 25 years now.

http://eezox.com
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 23rd November 2016 at 18:43.

Posts liked by others
    I avoid having ANY silicone products in my shop.

It is all but impossible to remove silicone contamination and it screws up just about any finishing job (wood or metal) after it gets spread around.

Posts liked by others
    Something else to consider. Brass instruments are not subject to the same heat and friction as a firearm. While it may be slick on the bench, you may have a burnt gunky mess after you put a few hundred rounds through it.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)
    Likes (1) :
    Warbirdnut (22nd January 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast