Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Three Month Evaluation Part 2

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Three Month Evaluation Part 2

So this is part two of my Three Month Evaluation post. Here is the second target from today's trip to the range. It seems like I did a bit better by keeping my thumb on top of the safety. On the first target of the day I was more focused on vertical sight alignment. I'm a bit skeptical about the thumb placement making that much difference. My understating of having the thumb on top of the safety is to help manage recoil. Could the thumb placement make that much of a difference? Or am I just looking a better trigger pull here?

CAM00034.jpg

Anyways, thanks in advance for the feedback. This site has been a great tool for me. I have yet to walk away from this site empty handed.
    Last edited by Warbirdnut; 23rd October 2016 at 22:50. Reason: Reworded

Posts liked by others
    I don't think thumb placement is all that relevant. A more likely explanation is that you simply got more comfortable shooting, as the day went on.

Do an internet search for 'shooting wheel'. If you're right handed, I think you'll find your trigger finger is the culprit.

EDIT: nevermind, here it is:

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Last edited by Spyros; 24th October 2016 at 04:59.

Posts liked by others
    It can be difficult to master the technique of moving only the trigger finger when firing, without also tightening the grip of the other fingers -- which can pull the muzzle off target. I like to recommend using a Gripmaster to help train the hand muscles to work independently.

http://www.prohands.net/products/gripmaster.php

This type of grip exerciser is better than the older, bent spring type because with the Gripmaster you can isolate one finger. Guitarists use them to strengthen the left hand, for better control on the fret board. I like it for training the trigger finger while also improving grip strength. You can use it to work on holding three plungers depressed while training the trigger finger to move independently.

http://www.prohands.net/who/sports/handgun/
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 24th October 2016 at 01:38.

Posts liked by others
    I agree with Hawkmoon on tightening grip making shots fall to 7 and 8 o'clock. Sometimes this can be at least helped by more grip pressure with the weak hand so that the non-trigger fingers are less pretightened on the grip and pull less to the side when the trigger is pulled.

I have both the MantisX and iTarget training aides ... still can't figure out how to stop breaking wrist down.

Posts liked by others
    Spyros thanks. I've seen a few of the wheels, but this one seems to have a better description. I wonder how much of this would be due to the fact I'm one of those right handed, left eye dominant people. I'll have to try shooting some left handed at some point and see how it goes now that I'm getting comfortable shooting right handed. I had tried before, but haven't done it in a while. Figure I'd get comfortable shooting right handed.

Posts liked by others
    I was looking for a tool like that!. I've seen the others that didn't allow for work with individual fingers.

OK this is off topic but, I played guitar and bass in high school and some in college. Started off with a Fender Jazz bass owned by the high school and my ES 175 Gibson copy with medium gauge wound 3rd strings. Playing that Jazz bass sure built up some muscle in my left hand.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I agree with Hawkmoon on tightening grip making shots fall to 7 and 8 o'clock. Sometimes this can be at least helped by more grip pressure with the weak hand so that the non-trigger fingers are less pretightened on the grip and pull less to the side when the trigger is pulled.
    I think you're right about getting familiar with the 1911. The first time or two out the 1911 had an overall heavy feel to it. It is an RIA MS as noted else where in the forums. I got together with a friend that has a Kimber. With a fully loaded magazine doesn't appear to be as heavy as my RIA. But the last time around my RIA didn't have quite as heavy feel to it. I've been doing the weight training described at http://www.bullseyepistol.com/stamina.htm with just some 5lb dumb bells. Even sporadic workouts seem to help.

This past round my grip wasn't as hard it was in the past. A few trips out my arms would get tired and it was hard to stop the wobble. This last trip I relaxed quite a bit including just putting the gun down after a few rounds for a minute or two. So I guess for my dry fire practice I'll tighten up a bit on the grip and see how it goes on the next trip to the range. Plus I'll hit my material on gripping the gun again.

I have both the MantisX and iTarget training aides ... still can't figure out how to stop breaking wrist down.
    I've been looking at a few of the trainers like the Laserlyte . I'll have to take a look at the iTarget in more detail since I don't have a rail. I haven't been too keen on shoving something in the barrel or using a brass colored practice round. I guess I would be a bit more comfortable with something closer to a snap cap that I could load via the magazine. Maybe I need to reconsider that option to some degree. Just keep the training stuff with my snap caps. I keep them with my cleaning supplies.

Posts liked by others
    I shoot right handed, but I'm left eye dominant. Hmm I wonder if there is a chart for that? I do wonder if the combination maybe why the bulk of my shots are a bit to the left. I'm assuming that my site picture is good. I shoot with both eyes open most of the time. But I'm thinking my grip is the most likely the problem.
    Last edited by Warbirdnut; 2nd November 2016 at 22:30.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirdnut View Post
    I shoot right handed, but I'm left eye dominant. Hmm I wonder if there is a chart for that? I do wonder if the combination maybe why the bulk of my shots are a bit to the left. I'm assuming that my site picture is good. I shoot with both eyes open most of the time. But I'm thinking my grip is the most likely the problem.
    I have the same problem (right-handed, left eye dominant). Kinda annoying back when I was playing pool... but I don't think it's having the effect you describe.

I find that my shooting improves if I switch to a 9mm, to cure my anticipating-the-shot problem, then switch back to .45. YMMV.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    ... still can't figure out how to stop breaking wrist down.
    Yea, I've got to figure that one out myself. One thing that I try to do is make a conscious effort of keeping the barrel up all the way through the shot. As an exercise when dry firing, I'd align the top of the sights along the bottom of a shelf or some other line. It seems to help. Hmm, maybe taking an inverted 'T' and aligning the sites with it would help with horizontal movement. Seems like it would work since you'd be focused strictly on the sights and wouldn't be distracted with the target. Well, except for trying to keep the gun aligned on the 'T'. I still break my wrist down, but the dry fire practice seems to help with that.