Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This place has sure gone down the tubes

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirdnut View Post
    I've even seen forums where you don't only get a warning from the moderators, but get chastised my other forum users.
    That's why John decided to keep our alert and warning system private -- to avoid what I call ad hoc moderating by members, which almost invariably leads to flame wars. And we prefer to avoid flame wars.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I've recently become active again in the 1911 world (as opposed to just carrying one for defense.) I've been away for a while and am recently returned.

I too noticed the lack of activity.

One issue that might contribute to this is technology. I'm relying on a mobile platform (a phone). This forum doesn't seem to have as good a mobile interface as some others. I know others have been migrating to mobile devices as well.

This is not meant to be an attack; just an observation which I thought might be helpful.

Regards,

Josh

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    One issue that might contribute to this is technology. I'm relying on a mobile platform (a phone). This forum doesn't seem to have as good a mobile interface as some others. I know others have been migrating to mobile devices as well.
    Out of curiosity, do other forums that seem to have more mobile-friendly interfaces also run on vBulletin? The way the forum appears on a mobile device is (I think) controlled by the software (vBulletin), which John licenses from vBulletin. I thought the new version was supposed to offer a flexible, mobile-friendly user interface. I don't even try to browse from a smart phone, so I have no frame of reference.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Yes, Sir, they do. This includes another 1911 board.

I prefer the computer. However, I'm sitting in the waiting room while my wife has surgery, and I don't feel comfortable breaking out the laptop til we get her to her room.

Regards,

Josh

Posts liked by others
    The mobile version of vbulletin is kind of wonky. I usually scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "full site" link and then browse normally, just on a smaller screen.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I try to browse the site from a notebook and some times a tablet. Overall not to bad. I'm not fond of browsing anywhere on my phone. Its a combination of a small screen and age I think.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc View Post
    The mobile version of vbulletin is kind of wonky. I usually scroll to the bottom of the page and click the "full site" link and then browse normally, just on a smaller screen.
    That's what I do too. Not so much because the mobile version is wonky but simply because I'm already familiar with the full site and see no point learning how to navigate around another one.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Lots of boards have gone downhill over the years. With the advent of Facebook, it seems everyone is on that instead and "friend" each other and/or open up a group discussion.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Just a short one to let you people know that we also have a Facebook page, if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/m1911.org/
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (1) :
    ButchA (29th October 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just a short one to let you people know that we also have a Facebook page, if you are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/m1911.org/
    "Liked" from both personal and commercial FB accounts.

Also, you have a PM.

Regards,

Josh
    Likes (1) :
    ButchA (29th October 2016)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast