Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Annealing

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Annealing

I learned a lot of new modern stuff in my tumbling media thread. You guys are awesome!
    I met a guy that only had 100 pieces of brass for the last 30 years. He says the key to longevity is annealing the necks. What are your thoughts on this?

Posts liked by others
    I am definitely not an expert, but my opinion is that it's not necessary for straight-wall cases like the .45 ACP, especially if you don't make a habit of overdoing the resizing and flaring. Annealing seems to me to be more necessary with bottleneck cases.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Yup. This is a general reloading question for rifle cases.

Posts liked by others
    Something I found while researching that subject a while back, http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
    good info.
    "Sometimes the wolfs are quite and the moon howls"

Posts liked by others
    Annealing, as was said, is for rifle cases. I do it all the time.

I do not see how I could anneal a .45acp case. It's just too short and I'd be concerned about compromising the integrity of the case head.

Pressures are low enough in the .45acp that case life isn't typically a concern. I have cases older than I am inherited from a Navy shooter named Orlando, who reloaded them before I did! They get lost before they wear out.

Josh

Posts liked by others

hum...hom

While the 6mmbr-article is full of good and practical advice I really cannot agree on a statement like annealing was not heat treating.

That´s flat out wrong.

Any sort of willfully subjecting a piece of metal to a certain temperature or a succession of different defined temperatures in order to change is metallurgic properties IS heat treatment.
    (If a link to a scientifically not fully accepted, but nevertheless often correct source, is allowed:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_treating)

To get back to the base of this thread:
    When you are careful not to overdo belling and crimping of .45 Auto cases you WILL lose the cases before they start cracking, as was already mentioned.
    More problematic might be the repeated compression of the bottom of the case which can lead to an expansion in the diameter of the case rim....so it´s more useful to watch THE OTHER END of the case

Best wishes

Carsten
    "............................" (Charlie Chaplin)

(Could I get the Smilies black and white?? )

Posts liked by others
    I have annealed 38 super and helps a lot to keep brass from splitting.