Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P35/1911 holsters

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

P35/1911 holsters

I am fixing to order some vintage military holders (M3,M7 etc). I am told that in WWll, pilots and such were issued the same run of the mill holsters for both the 1911 and P35. Is this so?

Posts liked by others
    I can't answer with a verifiable account but it sounds plausible. Those holsters weren't exactly tightly fitted to the gun, so one that works for a M1911 would do fine for a HP.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I wasn't aware that the U.S. Army Air Corps issued Hi-Powers during WW2 -- or any other time.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I'm not sure who used P35. I was only told that the holsters were used interchangeably. I don't know enough about the weapons or their history to question. Now if he had said the mag carriers were also used interchangeably, I could have questioned his source.

Posts liked by others
    I have carried a Hi-Power in a 1911 holster. It fit quite nicely. But your post asked about military issue. The M3 and M7 were American, so your post implied that the U.S. was issuing 1911s and Hi-Powers interchangeably.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    The British Commonwealth and German forces were issued P35s. Am not aware that the Brits issued American shoulder holsters, but they may have.

The rule of thumb is that the BHP will fit in any 1911 holster, but not vice-versa.

Edit: I believe that Chinese forces were also issued P35s, and they probably used American-issued should holsters.
    Last edited by KevinRohrer; 19th October 2016 at 20:16.

Posts liked by others
    American equipment would be readily available to most of our allies as we had troops in their countries and the trading by GI's would be rampant as well as standard issue to some of the foreign units ( French used USA, Belgium both US &Brit....etc).

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibmikey View Post
    American equipment would be readily available to most of our allies as we had troops in their countries and the trading by GI's would be rampant as well as standard issue to some of the foreign units ( French used USA, Belgium both US &Brit....etc).
    Quite possibly true, but nonetheless based on pure speculation. Moreover, the speculation doesn't address the original question, which was:

I am told that in WWll, pilots and such were issued the same run of the mill holsters for both the 1911 and P35. Is this so?
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Considering the US supplied it's allies with much of the material of war. This may very well be true. Just wondered if anyone knew. Seems as though some here have used the holsters personally, that answers my question. Arguing about the rest is just pointless.
    Thanks to all who participated in this thread.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, I did as you suggested and went back and read the original post, the answer is simple since we did not issue any P35's to pilots. If the question encompasses other nations who did in fact issue pilots a P 35 it is doubtful they would have a supply of USGI holsters at hand, but then again we gave everybody everything from aircraft to sanitary napkins so i guess it is not impossible.
    U S Fighter pilots were mostly issued shoulder holsters for .38 or .45 pistols, air crew and pilots on bombers and other multi engine aircraft got the regular hip holster. I have a photo of a friend (now deceased) Greg Boyington who had a shoulder holster when flying a Corsair. By the way he invented his own auto pilot so he could sleep--- heavy rubber bands on the stick.
    Likes (1) :
    Coltsformysons (27th February 2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast