Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Do Ruger 1911's have MIM parts? Just picked up a used CMD, very pleased but I'd like

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Do Ruger 1911's have MIM parts? Just picked up a used CMD, very pleased but I'd like

Just picked up a used CMD, very pleased but I'd like to swap those out. Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy19608 View Post
    ...I'd like to swap those out.
    Why do you want to swap them out? I have not read of any failures of any MIM parts in the SR1911.

Posts liked by others
    To answer your question, yes.

The MIM parts that Ruger uses seem to be pretty good quality. I have not had any problems with them. Personally, I would not worry about replacing them, but you can do as you wish.

Posts liked by others
    I have not heard of any failures either, but I am not fond of MIM in general. I'm not going to rush out and buy all new parts, but I like Ed Brown or Wilson in my guns. A few at a time, until the changeover is complete. I do like the pistol, paid $475 used and feel I got a good deal. Lost all my guns paying for the divorce, but now I'm getting back in the game so to speak.

Posts liked by others
    You got a great deal at $475. According to Walt Kuleck's excellent review of the SR1911 "The sear, disconnector, hammer, slide stop, safety, grip safety, mainspring housing, front sight and rear sight are MIM."

Here's a link to a great review on your gun:

http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...-SR1911-Review

Posts liked by others
    Will the 'MIM-hate' ever die? I think folks would be surprised to hear that guns from most of the top-tier volume manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Springfield, Kahr, Glock and many others) are chock full of MIM parts. It's the way of the world. A properly executed MIM part is just as tough - or even tougher - than a forged part. All modern firearms manufacturers figured out long ago the secrets of making quality MIM parts, and many of them do a lucrative side business making MIM parts for other industries.

I long ago got over my fear of MIM parts in guns, mainly because I've put thousands of rounds through dozens of guns filled with MIM parts and I've experienced zero MIM part failures. If Ruger started making the SR1911 tomorrow using all forged parts lovingly crafted by vestal virgins in the fires of Mount Olympus the pistol wouldn't be any more reliable or accurate - it'd just be more expensive.
    Likes (3) :
    dV8r (4th November 2016), Longhorn1986 (4th November 2016), Macewindu57 (22nd October 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bwharen View Post
    If Ruger started making the SR1911 tomorrow using all forged parts lovingly crafted by vestal virgins in the fires of Mount Olympus the pistol wouldn't be any more reliable or accurate - it'd just be more expensive.
    Hi, from Greece. The Greek fire department has now put out ALL fires on Mount Olympus, so I guess MIM parts will have to do. No word yet on the whereabouts of the Vestal Virgins.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (7) :
    11 Bravo (4th November 2016), dV8r (4th November 2016), Longhorn1986 (4th November 2016), Mark75H (5th November 2016), ncviking (4th November 2016), Pyrenean (4th November 2016), woolieworm (4th November 2016)

Posts liked by others
    MiM parts have come a long way and they are much better than when we heard the Kimber horror stories.
    The big picture you have to look at is cost. Buy a inexpensive gun like the Ruger. Change this and change that, and instead of the Ruger you could have bought a top end gun like Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.
    Shoot the gun and it will tell you what it needs. Make a change or two and then enjoy your Ruger it's a great gun.

Posts liked by others
    The MIM parts in my Ruger or other pistols have yet to fail. Until I have a reason to change the MIM parts it isn't worth the expense to me.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by T-TAC View Post
    MiM parts have come a long way and they are much better than when we heard the Kimber horror stories.
    The big picture you have to look at is cost. Buy a inexpensive gun like the Ruger. Change this and change that, and instead of the Ruger you could have bought a top end gun like Wilson Combat or Nighthawk Custom.
    Shoot the gun and it will tell you what it needs. Make a change or two and then enjoy your Ruger it's a great gun.
    Well, not exactly.

The one Kimber that I kept (20th anniversary gift from the wife) has had all of what I consider the high stress MIM parts replaced (by me). And yes, I have had kimber MIM parts break.

Anyway; total cost for parts replacement was <$250.00.

For what that gun cost, it should have come with better quality parts to start with. And yes; I did have to work on it to get it to function reliably. Even after a return trip to kimber.

Don't believe everything you read in the full page, color gun mag ads.

I also currently own several Colt, plus a Baer Custom, and two Wilson Combat, 1911's.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 20th November 2016 at 20:43.