Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Sig Sauer 1911 XO B range report

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Sig Sauer 1911 XO B range report

21-Lt Side Pachmayr.jpg Sig Sauer muzzle.jpg Bianchi 7L.jpg bullseye #1.jpg

I have taken my new Sig Sauer 1911 XO B to the range three times now, so here’s my “range report”. For anybody lacking the time to read the entire post, this pistol is “a keeper”.

At a list price of $1010 (for those of you in the 49 other states), this model is in a 3-way tie for the lowest price 1911 made by Sig Sauer. The price for those of us in California is some $70 higher. I am most pleased by the workmanship, fit & finish. It came with the long trigger, which I consider a “must have”. The only change I made was to remove the grips and replace them with Pachmayr Signature Grips. I use the Pachmayr Signatures on all of my 1911s, and have for many years.

Next it was time to measure the trigger pull. Before going to the range for shot #1 I weighed 20 consecutive trigger pulls. The heaviest pull was 3.97 pounds. The lightest pull was 3.21 pounds. The average was 3.65 pounds. The difference between the heaviest and lightest of the 20 pulls was 0.76 pounds.

Next I discarded the highest and the lowest (like they used to do in the figure skating events in the Olympics). Of the 18 remaining trigger pulls the heaviest was 3.83. The lightest was 3.49. That leaves a difference of just .34 pounds, which I find impressive. I felt no trigger creep at all. As a man accustomed to trigger pull in the 4.5 to 5 pound range, I had some learning to do. I dry-fired at home for a week before going to the range, just to adjust to that light trigger pull.

Frankly I’m doubtful about this as a carry gun due to the light trigger pull. Perhaps I’ll feel differently after putting 1,000 rounds through this pistol. I remember decades ago I had released the safety and was just beginning my squeeze when the suspect in our incident decided to set down his rifle. In hindsight I am grateful that we got through that matter without anybody getting hurt. With that lighter trigger the outcome might have differed.

This is the heaviest of all my 1911s at 41.6 oz. I found that not to be a problem, or even noticeable while I was shooting. Frankly I was enjoying the 3-dot sights and the light trigger pull so other thoughts weren’t taking up my attention. Shooting this pistol is quite an enjoyable experience.

At the range I used a mix of various semi-wadcutter handloads, and some Federal 230gr hardball. Everything fed and ejected just fine. I noticed the ejected casings all went pretty much in the same direction. Grouping on the target was quite pleasing, except for the hits I pulled to the left; my bad!

There was just one thing I didn’t like. The shape of the slide differs from that of the traditional 1911. Fitting the Sig Sauer 1911 into my Bianchi 7L holster was a mis-match that I should have given up. Instead I forced it into the holster. Upon pulling it out of that extraordinarily tight fit it left a slight mar in the left side of the slide’s finish. I took a photo, but it’s barely visible in the picture.

I’ve carried cocked & locked in high-ride leather for over 40 years with no accidents. All that time I’ve used holsters with a thumb break strap over the rear of the slide. In my mind that’s a “must have” feature for safety purposes. My Department required the leather strap between the cocked hammer and the back of the slide. So far I haven’t found one with that feature and a manufacturer’s claim that the Sig Sauer will fit into it. If anybody knows of one, please let me know.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Likes (1) :
    Pyrenean (14th January 2019)

Last edited by MuyModesto; 13th January 2019 at 09:32. Reason: fix typo

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the range report, she shoots and looks like a keeper. Enjoy shooting!
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (15th January 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Looks great. Sig makes excellent 1911's.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (21st January 2019)

Posts liked by others
    DeSantis Holster muzzle view.jpgDeSantis Holster packaging label.jpgDeSantis Holster above rear sight.jpgDeSantis Holster side view.jpg

I found it extremely difficult to locate a holster that would fit the Sig Sauer due to the non-standard contour of the top of the slide. Eventually I ordered the DeSantis holster. It arrived today. The pistol fit right in, feeling only slightly snug. I did feel more resistance when drawing than when holstering. I put the holstered pistol in the safe for a few days. I expect that as this holster breaks in the fit will be no problem. If it does become a no-go I will update with a follow-up posting later. One of the photos shows the model number, to assist anybody else who might wish to check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Wrap the pistol in a few layers of waxed paper, and jam it into the holster overnight. Then draw and reholster a few times with the pistol still wrapped in the waxed paper.

The holster should then be broken in. If not, repeat the process for another day or two.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    lonestarjeff (23rd June 2019), MuyModesto (31st January 2019)