Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Custom Classic Target Series 1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Custom Classic Target Series 1

Just made a purchase of a higher priced 1911 and thinking about thinning the herd. I know they eat nothing but thinking about dumping my Series 1 that has been safe bound for years. No mods, 600rds fired, rosewood grips, manual, bushing wrench, Kimber coin, but no original box and just a Caseguard one. Price I should consider ?
    Forget about knives, bats and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need. Drill Sergeant Joe B. Fricks Rules For a Gunfight

Posts liked by others
    Don't know the value, but I know I would not sell a series 1. They are just to hard to find these days. JMO.
    " I'm your huckelberry".

Posts liked by others
    I agree about reconsidering. I had one once and sold it because of similar reasons. They're too hard to come by. If you're certain there will not be any remorse, then I'd suggest that you research the current prices on GunsAmerica and Gunbroker before listing it anywhere. I sort of wish I had mine back, but not enough so to bother chasing another one down. If I had another, chances are it would just sit in the safe. I would be owning it just for the sake of possessing one of them.
    Best wishes.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    I recently bought a SS Gold Match. I had been looking for a pre Series II for years. Kimber says it was made in April 2001 which is the year they started the Series II mechanical firing pin safety but this one does not have it. I gave a friend $900 for this one. It has the original box etc. but the grips, MSH and front sight are not original. I got to field strip and shoot it before I bought it. My friend was not the first owner. The fit and finish are very nice and the trigger is very nice but not sure it is the original Kimber fire control stuff. The pre Series II are hard to find so be sure you want to get rid of it before you do.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    1911_Kimber_GoldMatch_rightblur.jpg

I have a Series I Gold Match. It does seem to have an issue with the barrel (galling?) which I have just never gotten around to contacting Kimber about. However, it has never ever had a failure to feed, extract, or fire- ever, and it has gone through a number of IDPA matches, not to mention a couple dozen Bullseye matches and untold plinking sessions. My first range test with any 1911 is to go through several magazines loaded with a mixed bag of ball, LSWC, and hollow point ammunition. This one did what all of my new (last 15 years) Colts, SA, and this Kimber have done, which is to run them all with no issues.

Fit and finish are exception. A few additions of my own including a S&A mainspring housing and ambidextrous safety.

Posts liked by others
    I recently traded a Custom Stainless Target for a S&W M&P9 Pro. The S&W is hard to come by in California and the Kimber was a second .45, the first is a Les Baer, so I dealt the Kimber for the S&W.

That said, the Pre-Series II was smooth enough, tight eough and more than accurate enough. I may regret selling it, but I doubt it. I use my guns for USPSA matches, so the M&P was more useful to me than another 1911 in .45. That said, I do keep an eye out for another at a decent price...

Posts liked by others
    Looking at the Kimber website it looks like the Warrior and Eclipse lines may not have the mechanical firing pin safety. I am sort of interested in the Eclipse Target but the ones in stores I have seen still have II after the Eclipse Target. Keep looking for one of the newer ones.
    NRA Life Member