Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dirty Ruger. Dirty, Dirty, Dirty

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

comes off easy

I know what you mean. I like to keep my guns as slick as possible and still shoot them a lot. I kind of like the way my .45 looks after a day of shooting. I think I took this picture after about 100 rounds. This Colt has been flawless right out of the box and a few thousand rounds.. No problems. Checkmate 7 round GI with dimpled followers. I just keep an oily grungy old rag in my bag and wipe it off after a session. Stainless may be different and matte might also be different. Glad to hear that you take pride in maintenance of your weapon. That is very important in my opinion.
    Have a great day and be safe,
    digada

Posts liked by others
    I had a similar problem with a Stainless Colt Gunsite pistol. The texture on the slide would get carboned up and be very hard to clean.
    One day I got some Breakfree CLP on it and the black carbon pretty much wiped off.
    So my cleaning routine is a tooth brush with some CLP on it and scrub the parts of the gun.
    I sometime skip the bore solvant and use CLP for cleaning the barrel too.
    Let everything sit and soak for 15 mins. Then hose with Gun scrubber spray.
    Let dry and relube and assemble.
    Whole process should not take more than 30 mins. including getting all your supplies out on the table.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bwharen View Post
    ... my experience has been that EVERYTHING runs fine with Wilson magazines.
    You didn't say which Wilson magazines, so I assume you're not referring to the ETM magazines, which can often cause stoppages with in-spec 1911s.

The ambidextrous safety is the Novak model sold by Ruger. This was something of a disappointment. The factory single sided safety is clearly molded (yes, it's MIM) to fit the SR1911's sear geometry and is essentially a drop-in part (mine showed no evidence of hand fitting yet mated well with the sear). The Ruger 'Novak' ambi safety is nothing more than an off-the-shelf Novak part with a Ruger sticker on it. Shame on Ruger. If they are selling this as being specific to the SR1911 then they should have them produced closer to the factory original geometry. As it was, the Novak safety required an extensive amount of fitting to work.
    I don't understand the reference to "the SR1911's sear geometry." Are you saying that Ruger doesn't use standard 1911 sears? If not, why not? The fact that a thumb safety needs some fitting to work in a specific pistol should not be a surprise. That's the case in the vast majority of pistols. If you get one that drops in and passes all safety checks with no fitting, that should be regarded as the exception rather than the rule.

If Ruger has tinkered with the sear geometry, shame on Ruger. The answer should be to use standard sears, not to market a non-standard thumb safety to work with a non-standard sear.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by T-TAC View Post
    I had a similar problem with a Stainless Colt Gunsite pistol. The texture on the slide would get carboned up and be very hard to clean.
    One day I got some Breakfree CLP on it and the black carbon pretty much wiped off.
    So my cleaning routine is a tooth brush with some CLP on it and scrub the parts of the gun.
    I sometime skip the bore solvant and use CLP for cleaning the barrel too.
    Let everything sit and soak for 15 mins. Then hose with Gun scrubber spray.
    Let dry and relube and assemble.
    Whole process should not take more than 30 mins. including getting all your supplies out on the table.
    I agree that CLP is a great solvent. And a very good lube. Frankly I have not found any justification to use anything else. When the Army first adopted CLP back in the 80's we were amazed at how much crud was coming out of 'clean' M-16s that had been maintained for over a decade using Army issue bore cleaner and LSA. We would scrub the bores and bolt assemblies with CLP, leave them a little 'wet' and put them in the rack overnight. Come morning a patch through the bore would reveal an amazing amount of fouling that had been built up in the rifling grooves over the years and which the old bore cleaner couldn't get to. The same for the bolt carriers. CLP is amazing stuff.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I don't understand the reference to "the SR1911's sear geometry." Are you saying that Ruger doesn't use standard 1911 sears? If not, why not? The fact that a thumb safety needs some fitting to work in a specific pistol should not be a surprise. That's the case in the vast majority of pistols. If you get one that drops in and passes all safety checks with no fitting, that should be regarded as the exception rather than the rule.

If Ruger has tinkered with the sear geometry, shame on Ruger. The answer should be to use standard sears, not to market a non-standard thumb safety to work with a non-standard sear.
    Hawkmoon, I think what I was trying (and failing) to say is that if Ruger is selling an aftermarket part to fit their 1911's then they should take the effort to make sure it fits their specific model better than the off-the-shelf Novak part they sell. I'm sure the SR1911's sear geometry is industry standard (whatever that means), and the Novak part is designed to be custom fitted, but it's clear that Ruger is mass producing a MIM single sided safety that is so well manufactured that it's essentially a drop-in part. So my issue is this - if they can do that for a single sided safety why not do the same for an ambidextrous safety?

Since I created this thread I've sold the full-size SR1911 and replaced it with a Springfield Loaded model. The full size Ruger just wasn't showing the accuracy I'd hoped for. But I've kept my SR1911 Commander model - that smaller pistol exhibits remarkable accuracy and is a dandy to shoot.
    Last edited by bwharen; 30th July 2017 at 12:46. Reason: Lousy grammar

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by bwharen View Post
    ... but it's clear that Ruger is mass producing a MIM single sided safety that is so well manufactured that it's essentially a drop-in part. So my issue is this - if they can do that for a single sided safety why not do the same for an ambidextrous safety?
    Dumb luck. It's axiomatic that no part of a 1911 should ever be considered to be a drop-in fit. I have, on rare occasions, been able to take a replacement thumb safety and install it in a pistol without any fitting. It can happen ... but it usually doesn't. You simply can't extrapolate from your experience with ONE safety to say that Ruger's safeties all fit, but Novak's safeties all have to be fitted.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12