Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: custom 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

custom 1911

I have never shot a custom 1911 like Ed Brown, etc, my question is the trigger pull set to what #, 3-4# as a stock custom?
    Picked up a used Colt, and the trigger is probably set at 3# and thus I am very accurate with it. But I have never purchased a high end 1911 so I was wondering if their trigger pull is soft?

Posts liked by others
    I think with any custom 1911 you tell the maker what you want the trigger set for.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    From what I read on the Internet, an inventory semi-custom is quite likely to come in at 4 lb or not much less.

Ol' Ed himself says:
    "Standard trigger pull (3.5-4.5 pounds)
    Custom pull weight (+ half pound increment, 3.5 pound minimum)"

A Wilson Classic, likewise "3 ½# – 4 ½# Crisp Trigger Pull" They will provide to order. I don't know their minimum but doubt less than 3.5.

A Baer PII is cataloged to have a 4 lb pull. I bet there is some tolerance. I know one gunsmith who does a regular business adjusting those to customer's spec.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 20th August 2016 at 17:41.

Posts liked by others
    These are not "custom" guns in the sense some gunsmith has taken a production M1911 and dressed it up in fancy clothes and worked on the trigger. They're high quality production pistols available over the counter at better (meaning more expensive) gun shops. You CAN order one made to order. See the options on the Ed Brown website.

You can make the trigger as light as you want if you're willing to tolerate weak reset.

My several year old Kobra Carry has a 5.6 pound trigger. Not sure if that's the factory weight as it's been thru several long weekend courses and carried routinely. My two year old Special Forces came with a 4.1 pound trigger but the reset was so weak I bumped it up to the same as the Kobra Carry. Was still a little weak for my reset taste so she's now at 6.5 pounds. The break is so nice you have to weigh it to know it's that heavy.

My Colt alloy Commander and 9mm Government Model (my primary training pistol) run about 5.3 pounds.

Don't get hung up on trigger weight (or horsepower). Concentrate on trigger break and reset (or quarter mile times). Performance is what counts.

There are things Brown would not do to the pistol several years ago. I had problems with the Kobra Carry ejecting (live) ball cartridges during training exercises. The bullet would hand up in the ejection port. Solution is to bevel the ejection port but all Brown would do was shorten the ejector with the warning it might not eject spent cases reliably. I had the port opened up by a custom gunsmith. (The Government size SF model does not have this problem.)

Old photo of the Kobra Carry. Now has ambidextrous frame safety levers. A long weekend with Scott Reitz had us shooting weak handed (and weak eyed) much of the time and my formerly preferred single sided safety was a liability. Google Uncle Scotty if you don't recognize the name.

-- Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck S; 26th August 2016 at 19:02.