Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Bought a Kimber But Rethinking the Decision

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Bought a Kimber But Rethinking the Decision

Hello,

In my 40+ years of shooting I've owned a 1970's Colt and a Springfield Trophy Match. I sold or traded them for something that I needed more or I had more interest in at the time. I haven't shot a 1911 in years. Over the 4th of July I was visiting a friend who bought a new Ruger 1911. This made me re-think my decision not to have a 1911 and reminded me how interesting and cool they are. After that I spent many hours researching 1911's on the internet and looking at gun shops.
    To make a long story short I decided to buy a Kimber Custom II. The gun is very tight so that the slide is hard to pull back, the trigger pull is hard and the accuracy isn't what I hoped for, but that could be me? With that being said I was still happy with my purchase until I picked up a Sig 1911 Nightmare. The action was smooth as glass and the trigger was crisp and light. Why is there such a big difference? It seems like the Sig would be more fun to shoot? Any responses from Sig and Kimber owners/shooters would be appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't make a judgement on a new 1911 based on the trigger. Not until I knew a bit more about some parts, anyway. A light mainspring on a 1911 can make it seem like it has a much better trigger than another.

I own neither of the guns you mention but on looks alone, I'd pick the Custom II.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    You could call Kimber and and ask them for a shipping label to send it in but they will probably tell you to put 400 rounds through the gun before you can send it in. That was the story I got and the reason I don't own any more Kimbers.

As much as I like the older German made Sigs I would be hesitate to buy any gun called a "1911 Nightmare".
    Last edited by texagun; 13th August 2016 at 09:20.

Posts liked by others
    Tuning up the trigger on a 1911 is REALLY easy.

(It's so easy that even I can do it.)

Go to our Home page site: http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm

From the menu on the left, scroll down to Technical Issues. Find the article entitled "Poor Man's Trigger Job."
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    FollowJesus (19th July 2019)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Tuning up the trigger on a 1911 is REALLY easy. (It's so easy that even I can do it.)
    Hawkmoon is right: If I can do it, so can anyone who doesn't have six thumbs. A clean, crisp trigger is easy to do with a few very basic tools you likely already have and polishing stones.

Posts liked by others
    Try "boosting" the trigger. Unloaded, of course. Add several drops of lube down the front and back of the hammer into the fire control parts. With hammer at full cock push forward lightly on the rear of the hammer and pull the trigger. Re-cock and repeat 10 times. Often works wonders.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
    Last edited by 11 Bravo; 13th August 2016 at 15:53.

Posts liked by others
    I have an early Kimber (before the II) Custom, and it was as you describe the Sig. Smooth action, good trigger. The new Kimbers seem to be hit or miss on quality.

While the Sig 1911s have some silly names, I have shot a few of them and they are good to go.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    The trigger will most likely get better with use. You can also have a smith work on it which might be cheaper and certainly faster than sending it back to Kimber or shooting 500 or so rounds through it.

Back in 2002 I bought a Kimber Target Elite II and it had a fantastic trigger right from the display case. I usually don't even get a trigger pull gauge out till after I have shot a couple hundred rounds through a pistol but his time I did. It measured with an average break of 3lb 4oz. O.K. since I was using it as an expensive paper punch. After a couple thousand rounds it doubled on me. I immediately stopped shooting it and when I got home the trigger now broke at 2lb 3oz. I could have fixed it but it made a great bottom for .22 Conversion units. In fact I had even bought a Kimber conversion unit for it. I sold it a couple years ago but still have the conversion unit, which I now wish I had bought in not Silver.

NRA Life Member