Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: small primer in 45acp cases, which primers to use, also no load data re powder

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

small primer in 45acp cases, which primers to use, also no load data re powder

Hi folks
    Is been a while . I have come across some Winchester factory ammo that has small primers. So to reload I have heard that I can of course use small pistol primers, or small rifle primers?, and there is no load data so far indicating that there is a difference around how much powder one can use and if indeed there is a difference in powders. I would appreciate your expertise .
    Livingston from the far north.

If we do not have the courage to lose sight of the shoreline we shall never discover new oceans.

Posts liked by others
    When .45 with small primer pockets first got common enough to be an annoyance, I did some testing.
    Taking .45 ACP and Large Pistol primers as a baseline, .45 and Small Pistol primers gave 25-40 fps lower velocity over four different powder
    + bullet combinations. Small Pistol Magnum primers recovered the velocity drop or even gained a bit. I did not try Small Rifle primers but based on experience with 9mm, would not expect anything wild.

Unless you are shooting very light loads at the minimum for gun function or Power Factor, the easiest thing to do would be to just carry on with the appropriate size primer for the brass.

Posts liked by others
    I often pick up once fired .45 ACP cases from our range that have small pistol primers. My progressive press is set up for LP primers so I give them away to a friend who uses a single stage press and hand priming tool.

Posts liked by others
    A few years ago when they started to import small primers made by FIOCCHI USA I remember it was ever so annoying as you had do separate your old cases made for large primers from the new ones.
    I thought it was a break from the traditional .45 ACP case, then I had to get accustomed to these small primers, now it's not a big deal any more.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Yesterday I cleaned about 400 .45 cases with my Frankford Arsenal SS pin tumbler. Some were cases I'd shot but many were once fired cases I'd picked up from our range Wednesday. Among them were 70 Blazer cases with SP pockets. They've been set aside for a friend. I've given him a couple of hundred already.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks folks appreciate your expertise

Posts liked by others
    I have loaded small primer .45 ACP, with no difference noted between those and regular large pistol primed brass. I use a ruler with the primers up in the box and mark them so I won't get them mixed up.