Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Locate and replace original parts before selling CBOB?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Locate and replace original parts before selling CBOB?

In 2009 my wife was out of town and visited a local gun shop. While there, she bought a used CBOB in .45. Going by the serial number, it was manufactured in 2006. When she got it home, right away I noticed a few things were not original on it. The grips were slick black instead of the cocobolo ones that come from the factory (that was the first thing I noticed and what made me look closer), the barrel bushing was silver instead of black, the trigger was solid, and the thumb safety was ambidextrous.

I called up the shop and asked them a few questions about any changes they knew about when they bought it. They told me that they had bought it from a regular customer and took my number and said they'd have him contact me. I was planning on seeing if I could get a list of the changes made as well as possibly buy the original parts so that it could be put back in factory condition if she were to ever sell it. I had forgotten all about it until she bought a new gun the other day and decided to sell the CBOB to fund the purchase (retroactively...). I'm tempted to call the shop back, but after 7 years it seems like that would be pointless.

I've been looking at auctions on some of the regular sites and it seems that every one I have seen has been completely stock. I haven't seen any with different grips, triggers, etc. Looking at the CZ website, I can't find anything except possibly the barrel bushing (not sure if that is the same one for the CBOB or not).

I found the grips on an auction site for under $50 shipped, the barrel bushing on CZ's site (carbon steel for 1911) is $18, what I think is the same safety on Ed Brown's site (tactical extended safety) for $36, but no luck on the trigger.

I guess the first question should be, is it worth replacing the parts to sell the gun? Looks like maybe $150 in parts (if I can find the trigger). If fitting is required, that would be an additional cost... The second question would be, do I have the parts correct above? The grips I'm sure of, but not sure if the barrel bushing and safety are the same.

On a side note, I wish she had decided to sell it a year or two ago. I just found out that they stopped making them for a while, but recently started again. Might have gotten more for it then...

Thank you.

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't bother replacing any parts, as you point out the cost would very likely outweigh the price you'd get for them. And maybe you'll find a buyer who wants an ambi safety anyway.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the reply!

I think we'll try to sell locally face to face, and keep it how it is now. If it doesn't work out, then I may replace some of the parts later.