Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trigger pull and the Umarex Colt 1911 Government Model

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Trigger pull and the Umarex Colt 1911 Government Model

Hello Forum,
    I purchased a Umarex Colt 1911 a few years ago, I fired it a few times, the trigger pull was so bad, I stopped shooting the pistol. Sometimes it seemed like the safety lock was slipping and engaging the safety when I fired the pistol, the trigger pull was so hard, the pistol would not fire.

Recently, I went to shoot at an indoor range and I decided to try the .22 again. Yes, the same defect. The range master suggested I leave the pistol as they had a gunsmith who was a wiz with the 1911. I decided to give him a try. When I went to pick up my pistol today, they gave me a few rounds to try the repair. I was amazed! A very controllable trigger pull, what a difference. It was after I got home and decided to clean the pistol that I realized what he had done. He removed the safety lock plunger. It was attached to a card he had slipped into my pistol case. When I examined my pistol, I realized the plunger was removed but the plunger spring was now bearing against the safety lock. This fix worked, but I don't consider it a real fix. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for your time,
    Rabbit
    Last edited by K.R._Rabbit; 9th July 2016 at 18:49.

Posts liked by others
    Hi. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Umarex Colts. However, can you locate the removed part on the schematic in the ezine Umarex article? http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.ph...-by-Umarex-USA
    That might help more knowledgeable folks diagnose the issue.

Posts liked by others
    Hello Pyrenean,
    The part that was removed is part #29, the safety lock plunger.

Posts liked by others
    Okay, that was the part I was hoping for. BTW, the plunger doesn't have any relation to trigger feel that I can think of. My guess is the smith actually did something else to improve your trigger and left out the plunger for some other reason or just forgot to put it back in.

It is easy to put the plunger back in place, if you are willing to tackle the job on your own. You would not need to do a full detail strip, but you would need to remove the thumb safety. Once again, m1911.org has a resource that can help :http://www.m1911.org/full_striping.htm

Oh, the plunger should have a small part that fits inside the spring. Ala this image from Brownell's :.
    Your plunger should resemble the biggest one on that picture. If it doesn't then you will need a new plunger

Edit: Could you take a picture of the safety please? Rereading your post, it sounds like the grip safety may have not been disengaging. I suppose a thumb safety could block the sear if it disengaged when you were shooting your pistol. Removing the plunger is not the way I would fix that though.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 9th July 2016 at 20:39.

Posts liked by others
    Hello Pyrenean,
    I am going to try and post some PICs of the plunger and the safety. In the PIC of the safety, you can clearly see the plunger spring bearing against the safety lock. I love the trigger pull, but I know after awhile, the spring will be damaged. It just does not seem like the way to go, but like I said, the new trigger pull is MUCH BETTER!

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1400.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Yah. That spring is not going to be happy for very long. Your plunger is not a standard 1911 part but it looks like it will stay in the spring. The plunger needs to go back to where it belongs.

Posts liked by others
    As Pyrenean commented, the safety plunger has NO effect on the trigger pull. I would put the plunger back in and never look back. I can't even begin to comprehend why a gunsmith familiar with the 1911 would ever leave that part out.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Bingo Pyrenean. The Umarex safety lock plunger is not a standard 1911 part as evidenced by Rabbit's photo. It does not have the beveled taper on the shaft that keeps it captive in the spring. Also, no kink in the spring to keep it in the plunger tube. Both in JMB's original design. When you take the thumb safety off it will shoot across the room if you're not careful.
    Your thumb safety photo shows that as Pyrenean says.....won't be happy for long. I agree that you need to put the plunger back.

I can't think why it would effect the trigger pull, unless it keeps the safety from disengaging.

LHS

Posts liked by others
    Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about the Umarex pistols or how they operate compared to a normal 1911.

If the detent (assuming there is one) in the safety was mislocated the safety might possibly not rotate down far enough and restrict full sear movement as Pyrenean mentioned. The gunsmith might possibly have removed the plunger to bypass a detent.

You might try reinstalling the plunger to see if that causes the same pblm it exhibited in the beginning. If it does, you might try keeping heavy downward pressure with your thumb on the safety while test firing. If that works you need a "different" safety I would say. You might also check the safety lug and sear for any evidence of interference between the two.

Disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about the Umarex pistols or how they operate compared to a normal 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Having spent a decade or so trying to figure out how people managed to mess things up, I might guess the smith found the plunger after reassembling the pistol and did not recognize what it was. That plunger looks like it would like to zing off the spring and join all of the plungers, firing pins and other lost parts that are hiding out where ever lost parts hide in my workroom. Correction, in the workroom of one of my friends...

Rabbit, if you were in central Texas I would volunteer to let you use my "friend's" workroom to lose your thumb stop plunger. Sometimes having a complete klutz watching over your first few ventures beyond basic field strip can be comforting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast