Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Cammer Hammer Review

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Cammer Hammer Review

I was asked to test and evaluate a new product from Cammer Technologies, the Cammer Hammer! www.cammertechnologies.com I installed the Cammer Hammer on my RIA Mid Size, 4.25” GI Model. As with anything related to cleaning or repair on a firearm PLEASE make sure that it is not loaded, no ammunition is in the vicinity of the firearm and you are not distracted while working, just my way of working on a firearm. The install was very easy, that is if you are familiar with the disassembly and repair of your 1911. If not I would definitely recommend consulting a competent gunsmith for installation. On this install I did not have to replace the sear but I did make sure that it was fully functional with the new hammer after installation. With the Cammer Hammer installed I did notice a reduction in force needed to pull the slide back. I have not had a chance to get to the range as yet to see if I could notice the reduced recoil as noted per the web site. All in all I think it is a very nice and well-made product that reduces the amount of force needed to work the slide which can be a great aid for men and women alike especially in older men (like me) and women who may have reduced upper body strength.
    Pictures are of my 1911 showing that it is indeed unloaded, hammers shown are stock hammer on left and new Cammer Hammer on right, Cammer Hammer in the at rest position and the Cammer Hammer in the cocked position.

"This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints."

Posts liked by others
    I'm curious to hear if you'll notice a drop in perceived recoil.

Since this flies completely against the principle of the square-bottom FP stop, I'd actually expect it to INCREASE felt recoil.

Maybe I'm missing something.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The Cammer Hammer is a revival of an old gunsmith modification (see Hallock) to target pistols for midrange target ammo. The idea being to reduce mainspring resistance so as to allow enough recoil spring to be sure of chambering the next round.

Elite Warrior Armament has the Optimized Hammer with similar but shallower relief under the striking face. They recommend it for smaller calibers or lighter loads than .45 hardball.

I wonder how they got a patent in the face of this prior art.

A "product review" not including SHOOTING THE GUN is not very helpful.

Posts liked by others
    I shot mine. I don't buy the reduced recoil spiel, but I do believe the Cammer Hammer provides the "traditional" benefit of allowing the gun to work with light loads that might not normally be powerful enough to cycle.
    I ran my Colt Conversion Unit with the Cammer Hammer, 23# mainspring, and 14# recoil spring. I think it would be good in something like a longslide 9mm, or softball .45; something that needs some help unlocking without resorting to a recoil spring so light that the gun won't feed.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper