Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: ideas on my build

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

ideas on my build

I would like your opinions on a build i want luke to do. this will be a carry gun. I want it full size. what i have done is price out the signature vs the combat custom. my list

flush slide stop
    np3
    bobtail
    gripwell
    high grip
    dimpled strap
    front serrations
    monogram bushing
    fluted hood
    single side safety
    long trigger ?
    battlehook back night sight front
    naked slide
    rear logo
    stainless steel? i was thinking extra durable.
    cocobolo grips with cut out.

the difference between the two is 275.00. any reason to go with the signature? any thoughts welcome. thanks bob
    Last edited by bob mt; 18th June 2016 at 18:48. Reason: every thing ran together.

Posts liked by others
    Np3 or stainless both sound like good options for a carry pistol. As I recall, the ion bond finish is also very durable. Also, if I recall again, np3 is less prone to the inevitable wear from holster duty. Your best bet is to call Luke and discuss what you want in a pistol. Luke is a great guy and will let you know all the pros and cons of the various options. Both of my Volkmanns are Combat models - One Combat Carry and one 9mm Combat custom. They are both great pistols. It looks like the Signature has a few options that are included in the base price that are charge items in the combat custom. When I discussed my pistols with Luke, he and I concluded the Combat models were the best fit with my planned uses for the pistols.

Posts liked by others
    I am going thru george from gunslingers. I was thinking both stainless and np3 together. yes the signature has options that are standered, but i added those options to the combat custom.

If you were to do it over , would you add or delete anything on your builds? bob

Posts liked by others
    I did have Luke refinish my Combat Carry. It originally had a mirror polished slide and a long trigger. Daily carry was a bit too rough for the mirrored slide. I asked Luke to replace the long trigger with a short trigger and refinish it to what he though was the best option for my use. The new finish is brush polished and looks great. The brushed finish on a blued gun seems more appropriate for holster duty than the mirror polished slide. My 9mm Combat Carry is Rockote. I had it built with a short trigger and standard slide billboard. It only sees range time but it has the requisite range wear. Other than the trigger length and the brushed finish, I would not change a thing about my Volkmann's. I am past retirement age and I doubt my future is long enough to add another Volkmann to my stable. If it were, I would do a Combat Custom, Ion Bond over stainless, with a short trigger, Volkmann billboard on the slide, gold dot and battle-sight rear.

Posts liked by others
    pyrenean my hands and fingers are pretty stubby, i think i should have the short trigger also. I am 56 and I am tempted to have luke build two identical ones. I dont think when i retire, guns like this will be something that will fit in my budget. get it over now while i am working.
    thanks for your input. bob

Posts liked by others
    Hi Bob!
    You might think about thin grips. My hands are on the small side and the VZ Slims on my 9mm seem a bit more comfortable. I hear you about the budget. Get yer toys while you can

Posts liked by others
    I have a Volkmann Bobtail and a Signature. His quality of work is the same no matter what model you get from him. So the only reason to get a Signature is if it what you like. The option list you describe is very cool. I like it quite a bit. I don't think you can get the gripwell with wood grips. I think they gotta be VZ or similar. He needs to thin the grips some toward the bottom to accept the flare of the gripwell. Wen I had my Signature built 4 years ago, he would not do wood with the gripwell.

His gripwell is a very nice design. Going through George is also a good idea. He for some reason does better on pricing.
    Best Regards,

Jeff