Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Best USGI 1911a1 clone

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Best USGI 1911a1 clone

Looking to buy a USGI 1911a1 clone. Which is the most accurate and reliable. Thanks in advance.

Posts liked by others
    You're going to get a ton of opinions and a wide range of prices but my two picks are right at $400. First is the ATI 1911-A1 Military. Made in the Philippines and as close to a GI issue pistol as you're likely to find. The second is the Tisas 1911-A1. It's made in Turkey and has a durable black finish. The grips are smooth walnut. Change the grips to double diamond checkered grips and you have a GI-issue .45. The ATI has better sights.

If you want to spend more, the Remington R1 is close to being GI issue.

I own all three although my Remington R1 is the Enhanced model. All three have been very reliable and accurate. If I had to choose the "most GI" of them, it would be the ATI. Here's a link to it: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+Military+1911

Posts liked by others
    The sad truth is no company builds an exact copy of a 1911A1. All the clones have something that makes them different, be it sights, lowered ejection port, beveled mag well, or some type of firing pin safety.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    Of the current crop, I think I'd pick an Auto-Ordnance. Yes, it has a firing pin safety. I have two 1911s with one and it doesn't bother me at all [any more]. It also has a lowered ejection port, as do all 1911s sold new at the moment. Older AOs had some odd details here and there, but the current crop seems rather nice. Accuracy shouldn't be an issue, if you can make the GI sights work for you.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I'd also pick an Auto-Ordnance as the first choice as mentioned by Spyros.

Posts liked by others
    11 Bravo is correct in that none of today's 1911 offerings will be 100% true to the original 1911 military issue pistols. Every one will have some detail(s) that are slightly different. More than most, I like my 1911's to be as close to GI issue as possible but realize that all new pistols will entail a compromise on my part. Some details such as a slightly beveled mag well, improved sights and straight or arched main spring housing are not an issue with me. But, given a choice, I prefer the wide hammer, standard grip safety and GI thumb safety. Wide or extended safeties, beaver tail grip safeties and round hammers do nothing for me. But, I must emphasize that those are all personal preferences and others who like those features are just as entitled to their choices without being criticized.

Spyros is also correct in that the Series 80 style firing pin safety is pretty much a non-issue except to a purist or those who mistakenly think they prevent having a good trigger. Two of my 1911's have the firing pin safeties and I defy anyone to tell that they do going strictly by the trigger pull on either.

Years ago I owned a new Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 and it was a good pistol. More recently I've also owned a Hi-Standard and it was also good.

BUT, if your heart is set on a pure, honest to God 1911-A1 at a reasonable cost, look for a used Argentine Modelo 1927. Produced on Colt machinery under supervision of Colt Engineers in Argentina, they are the real deal. They did throat the barrel chamber but otherwise they are US military GI issue pistols in every detail except the markings. The one below I recently found at a gun show. Most are not in as nice a condition but they are worth looking for.

Posts liked by others
    I will say that if you don't mind the Series 80 firing pin safety the closet in external looks that I have personally examined is currently being sold by Inland Mfg.
    http://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Han...overnment.html
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)

Posts liked by others
    thanks guys, appreciate the help

Posts liked by others
    "Most accurate" as in shooting, or, as in accurate appearance?
    I also think Auto-Ord is the most accurate in appearance. All the imports have problems with the frame contours, either in the rear tangs or the trigger guard. The Inland looks good, and there's a growing consensus that it's a badge engineered Auto-Ord.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    I am most concerned with accurate appearance. Seems the majority think the Auto-Ord or Inland.