Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new STI Range Master

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

My new STI Range Master

Hello everyone:

First of all, I introduce myself, as I´m new to this forum. I´m from Spain, and english is not my home language, so I apologize if I make some grammatical mistakes.
    I practice target shooting with rifle and handguns, and I participate in competitions since more than 37 years ago. Among the competitions, I participate in one that exists only in my country (Spain), and it´s named: "pistola de 9mm" (9mm pistol). It consists in 30 precision shots and 30 more shots in "fast" shooting ( 5 shots in 20 seconds), all of them, with just one hand. Thinking on this modality, and after years using an H&K USP Elite, and because of the great prestige that STI pistols have among target shooters in my country, I decided to give the STI Range Master a try. I writte this post, because now, I´m a bit worried, as I have read on the net, some negative comments regarding STI pistols reliability, and some people say (in some forums), that depending on ammo and bullet weight, they can suffer from extraction problems. Some people also say, that STI blue finish is very weak, and that it wears off very easy.
    I would like to read your opinions, please.

Greetings from Pedro (Spain)
    Last edited by Petrus; 17th May 2016 at 17:17.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Petrus,
    Welcome to the forum. I have only heard good things about STI. I built a 1911 using one of STI's forged frames and found the STI frame to be very well made with proper dimensions. That pistol is my most accurate 1911 and is highly reliable.

I only have one 9mm 1911 - a custom, not an STI, so I can not tell you anything specific about your new Range Master's functioning. However my 9mm took a few hundred rounds to loosen up. Now it feeds everything and is a very pleasant shooter. I bet your STI Range Master will be the same way.
    Likes (1) :
    Petrus (18th May 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Hello Pyrenean:
    Thank you for your reply. Judging for what you say, some pistols need a little break in, in order to perform at 100 per cent; don´t they?

Greetings

Posts liked by others
    Hi Petrus,

Yes, some pistols seem to want a little break in. Some even seem to prefer one particular brand, or load, of ammo during the break in period. My gunsmith suggested using hotter and heavier ammo to break in my 9mm. When the pistol was new, some light 115 grain ammo would not even cycle the slide. It is really odd to fire a round and have your 1911 slide just sit there. Some other ammo would not fully cycle the slide. Those "short cycles" had some ejection issues and that caused the extractor to loose tension. That is easy to fix though.

NATO 9mm, which is 124 grain with a higher pressure, ran great. I used the NATO ammo to finish my break in period. After that, pistol became very tame. Now it runs great with any ammo - including my light target loads. My gunsmith's advice about ammunition was extremely valuable. Stock up on some hotter and heavier ammo for breaking in the pistol. Clean it. Lube it. Shoot it. And repeat. I think you will be very happy with your Range Master as I am with my 9mm.

For general maintenance, consider getting a selection of recoil springs. My smith put a 12 pound recoil spring in my pistol and said that some light rounds might go to an 11 or 10 pound spring. Recoil springs power "adjusts" during break in. My pistol runs great with its original 12 pound spring but it is good to have spares.

One of the nice things about the 1911 is how easy it is to maintain and tweak. You came to the right place if you have questions about other technical issues. This forum has an outstanding technical library http://www.m1911.org/full_technic.htm and the 1911 mentors on this forum are wonderful.
    Last edited by Pyrenean; 18th May 2016 at 18:26. Reason: Cleaned up the text a bit

Posts liked by others
    Pyrenean: your nick makes reference to the Pyrenees Mountains? I´m spending some days at the Pyrenees Mountains this week (Ordesa National Park)
    Thank you very much for your advises, and greetings from Spain.
    Last edited by Petrus; 20th May 2016 at 04:07.

Posts liked by others
    Just one more enquiry, please:
    I have noticed, that the back side of the recoil master guide, (the one that is half circular and is placed next to the barrel guide, at the rear), even being a brand new pistol, has its blue finish partially worn out. Is this something normal?
    Greetings
    Last edited by Petrus; 19th May 2016 at 12:28.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Petrus,

Yes, my user name references the Catalan Pyrenees Mountains. I am from the US but I enjoy travel abroad. I even picked up a small bit of Catalonian a few years back. Not that I remember it now. My Spanish, on the other hand, has been described as being able to make grown men cry

The STI "recoil master" (with the takedown tool and plug) and (without the plug or takedown tool)? The part on the right hand side near the spring? Yes, that is normal. That part pushes against the frame and the finish will wear from that interface. You will see some other finish wear on the interior of the gun, such as on the frame rails. Finish wear inside the 1911? Almost always ok. "out of sight - out of mind"...

Posts liked by others
    Thank you very much for your replies and information, Pyrenean. I like traveling abroad too, and for example this year, I have been in Australia.
    About my own enquiry, yes, I´m talking about marring on that part of the recoil master guide, that appears on the right hand in the picture, and specially on the round edge. But "I can breeth now", as you´re telling me it´s something normal, that appears after use (I´m such obssesive-compulsive) :=))))) As I know, at the STI factory, they shoot every gun they make, in order to recoil-master (1).jpg search for possible malfuntions, and aside from that, every fire weapon that are imported to Spain, coming from a non C.I.P. member country, has to pass a new shooting test.
    Very pleased to meet you, and greetings and many thanks for your advises and information
    Pedro Jose (San Sebastian-Spain)
    Last edited by Petrus; 20th May 2016 at 04:04.

Posts liked by others
    Australia is on my "to do" list although I do not think it has any place as beautiful as San Sebastian.
    Any rust should be afraid of taking up residence on any of your pistols.
    Your pistol maintenance is already advanced. This site's detailed dissertation on 1911 maintenance:http://www.m1911.org/maintain.htm
    will fill in any gaps.
    Have a great time at Ordesa park!

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum (from Greece)! A little finish wear where parts rub is fine. Just keep the gun nicely oiled and it should be OK.

As for the finish of some STI pistols, this comment probably comes from people seeing some pistols in the hands of IPSC shooters, who quite like STIs and use them HARD. Don't worry too much about it, a little finish wear adds character.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast