Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: IN or OUT?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

IN or OUT?

Sorry....initially posted this in General Discussion.....didn't know there was a HOLSTER section.

While waiting for my Kimber TLE 11 to arrive Ive been giving a lot of thought to my new carry system.
    The only piece I own of comparable size is my Beretta M9 which I have always carried OWB.
    Which system do you "full size" guys prefer?
    The TLE 11 seems like a lot of gun to wear IWB.
    Your thoughts please.

Posts liked by others
    I tend to switch back and forth depending on the needs for the day. I've had good success with the Sparks Summer Special IWB in light clothing. I also have run pancake and scabbard style holsters OWB during training classes, or when an extra cover garment was feasible. You just have to try it and see what works for you. The key is to spend the money for quality, both in the holster and the belt holding it up.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    I have more OWB holsters than IWB holsters, but IWB is easier to conceal and the 1911 is one of the easier guns to carry IWB.

Our holster picture thread may give you some ideas. http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...icture-Thread-!

Posts liked by others
    It all depends on how tight my shirt is. If the shirt is somewhat form fitting, than I use an IWB. if the shirt is large, long and baggy than an OWB is used.

Posts liked by others
    For me, for many years I carried IWB in a Nelson Summer Special clone. It works well enough, and the gun tucks in tight at the 3:30-4:00 position. But IWB is not as fast as a pancake style, and despite having reinforcing on the mouth it is harder to reholster. I now carry in a pancake style full time. My shirts are large enough to conceal the gun and holster. When I wear a sports jacket, it really conceals well. Unless you are around other people who are looking for a gun, most of the time, people are not paying enough attention to notice anyway. And yes, quality does make a difference. A Galco holster is adequate, and will last many years, but well probably never be truly "smooth." A Mitch Rosen, on the other hand, will quickly become smooth as glass. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Oh, and yes, a good gun belt is a must. Good luck.

Wade