Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911 45acp Low recoil load for wife and daughter

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 45acp Low recoil load for wife and daughter

I'm looking for help in a low recoil load for my 1911's for my wife and daughters to shoot. I cant brng myself to by a 9mm 1911 and have to load on more different caliber. (nothing against 9mm in 1911, I'm just don't want another caliber to load). Bullets I have on hand 230rn, 200lswc, 160lswc. Is it better to load heavy bullet slower with slower powder or load lighter bullet slower to achieve desired results. All 1911 5" guns and have only been shooting 230 rN factorcy ammo to this point. They all have 1911 in 22 and want to move up in caliber. load data great .
    Thanks
    Scott

Posts liked by others
    NRA shooters have used a lot of 185 - 200 gr bullets at 750 - 700 fps.
    3.5 - 3.8 gr of Bullseye is ballpark. Other fast powders will work, N310 or Clays, maybe. A slow burning powder like Unique or a Ball powder like W231 will be erratic at such light loads.
    You will likely have to go to a 10 - 12 lb recoil spring.

Posts liked by others
    Does any one sale Bullseye any more ? I have a pound of Clays left . I have spring set so not a problem, I have down to 5 # for the 38 wadcutter gun.
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by sjett; 31st March 2016 at 14:32.

Posts liked by others
    .38 Wad gun?
    A friend thinks that is the best beginner and chick gun known to man.
    But if your womenfolk want to shoot the .45, then help them shoot the .45.

.45 ACP 200 gr SWC + 3.2 gr Clays = 696 fps
    .45 ACP 200 gr SWC + 3.4 gr Clays = 729 fps
    In my gun with Briley barrel. The spring is either a 10 or 12 lb.

I am loading a 230 RN but only because I have one gun that will feed nothing else.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 31st March 2016 at 16:53.

Posts liked by others
    Yes , I built it using info from this forum and the internet , has taken almost a year to finish and get it just right. Its a link gun like Clark use to build. I'm working on another one that will be a blow back version as time permitts. But my wife and daughter want nickel 45s like one of the characters from The Walking Dead , I even have permission to buy a Colt python . Don't you just love the power of TV

Posts liked by others
    Recoil is a momentum thing so weight is more important than speed!
    Hey, those 160gr bullets bring you down into 9mm territory, now tailoring the recoil spring to fit the light load is another thing you will have to adress.

Gun weight 3lbs:
    230gr 850fps = 4.93ftlbs
    160gr 800fps = 2.1ftlbs

To get the 230gr bullet down to 2.1ftlbs you have to go down to @575fps.
    Last edited by Chickenthief 1; 31st March 2016 at 18:05.

Posts liked by others
    Chickenthief 1
    Using your formula where does Jims load @ 696fps and your 160gr at 800 compare to 9mm 115 std load in a 22oz gun (PT 111 G2)

Posts liked by others
    Any data for the 160s@750fps

Posts liked by others
    Try http://handloads.com/calc/quick.asp
    Warning, for those of us brought up on the US standard measurement system, that calculator uses pounds rather than slugs as the unit of mass. The calculator does not include adjustments for the mass of the pistol. However, without loss of generality, the calculator's momentum values should be a useful reference for the same pistol.
    http://handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp includes the weight of the pistol, and the charge weight in grains. The "free recoil" value in this calculator seems close to the numbers that ChickenThief posted. If I plug in for 160 gr, 750 fps with 5 grains ( wow!) of powder, I see a free recoil comparison of 2.07. If I plug in a 115 grain 9mm at 1000 fps, I see 1.70 as free recoil.
    All that said, a light charge of bullseye under a 200 grain SWC in a "gummint" 1911 can be amazingly soft in the recoil department.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sjett View Post
    But my wife and daughter want nickel 45s like one of the characters from The Walking Dead , I even have permission to buy a Colt python . Don't you just love the power of TV
    You want to be careful with all that: my wife learned how to grip a pistol by 'studying' Lt Horatio Cane in CSI Miami, who apparently used an odd (to me) hand-over-hand arrangement. I tried to get her to use something I thought would be better suited to her small hands, but the funny thing is... I didn't get the chance, because it turns out, she can out-shoot me with that odd 'TV' grip, so she simply stopped taking any advice from me!

That's with 9mm pistols. My only hope of not embarrassing myself at the range is to get her to shoot the .45s.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast