Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New (to me) Fusion Custom Pistol

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New (to me) Fusion Custom Pistol

Before Wednesday, I'd pretty much confined myself to the off-the-shelf 1911's. I've been privileged to fire some very nice Wilson, Ed Brown, and even a Christensen 1911. Very nice, but I just never saw a reason to have other than some Colt GCNM's, Springer 1911's in various configurations, and a nice Kimber Custom Royal.

I sold off three pistols that just didn't fit into what I wanted; two Springer Compact RO's, and an E Series S&W. The Compact RO's just never felt right in my hand, and I have a LWT Commander that I really do like more than the S&W. Off they went.

On the way back from the sale, I stopped at a small LGS, that I'd honestly never seen before. Not a very obtrusive place; small but he had a lot of nice pistols and revolvers. The used cabinet has some very nice pistols, and my eye was drawn to an STI double-stack .45 Auto, and a Fusion Firearms custom 1911. I liked the feel of the Fusion, so the dealer and I made a deal.

The Fusion was built in Northampton, NY, and has a low three-digit serial number. It seems to have been built as an ISPC pistol, chambered in 9x23 Winchester. Extremely tight tolerances, and it had been sent to a noted local gunsmith for his "Acc-U-Rail", a system which welds two rods to the frame, and then the slide and frame are milled to very tight tolerances.

The pistol was sitting with a second 9x19 Parabellum custom barrel installed, a real bonus that provides for cheap shooting. At the price he was asking, I thought it may have been a couple hundred dollars too high, but with the pistol came (8) 9x19 magazines, and (6) 9x23 magazines, and 800 rounds of 9x23 ammo. The 9x23 isn't exactly a barn burner in sales right now. I made an offer and he accepted it.

The only downside so far, have been the Hogue finger groove grips, and the God-awful FLGR. Fortunately, I was able to replace the FLGR with a standard GI length, and the Hogues have been replaced with a spare set of VG's I had lying around. The chain link MSH and front strap are very comfortable, and not too aggressive.

I took it to the range this morning for my own version of a break-in. The trigger breaks at @ 2+#, and it's really sensitive to my grip. I was probably "limp wristing" the pistol, thinking it wasn't extracting properly, but when I firmed up my grip, it ran 150 rounds with no failures of any type. Not having owned but a couple of locally built Colt customs, I believe that the tight tolerances will work against you, if you aren't completely firm with your grip. I used McCormick Wilson, Colt, and Metal Form mags, and it just doesn't care.

At 15 yards, I managed to eat out the center of the target with the pistol. It's about as accurate a 1911 as I've ever fired. The only ones that have shot as tight were an Ed McDonald (Detroit) pin gun, and a John Giles bulls eye pistol, both in .45 Auto. When I got it home, I cleaned it, and replaced both the recoil and firing pin springs with new Wolffs. I probably won't try out the 9x23 until I can shoot at our club, and I can recover the brass more easily.

The American republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville
    Likes (2) :
    horse 91-A1 (10th April 2016), ncviking (19th March 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Very nice looking Fusion, I have a purpose built (night time large predator) Commander size Fusion in 10mm.....it's very well built. Hope you get to enjoy yours as well as I enjoy mine.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon