Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to 1911 New to Forum

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New to 1911 New to Forum

Just bought my first 1911, bought a Kimber classic stainless gold match (series 1) or pre series 2 if you prefer. Pistol is in excellent shape and extremely clean and tight,(so far as I can tell). Then became aware of the lack of a fire pin safety block. I read all the controversy about the Swartz style safety on the Series 2. Should I be concerned about the lack of a fire pin block safety. Is it necessary on a 1911.

I have years of hunting and pistol experience but I am no Gunnery Sargent (Salute) and most of my experience is on revolvers or striker fired pistols. What do I need to know

Thanks

Posts liked by others
    Welcome from the S.R. of MD. Sorry I can't help with the Kimber, all I know is that they look good and are rather pricey.

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't worry too much about not having a firing pin block. Just change your firing pin spring when you change your recoil spring with the extra power one. You have a Kimber that is a much better gun than the IIs.
    Billy

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the response guys. Like a lot of people I have always wanted a 1911 but am finding out that there is a lot to learn about this platform.

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't worry about any firing pin block. As BillyRam said, if it concerns you, just add an extra power firing pin spring (Wolff provides one with their recoil springs).
    Some years ago, one of our members did a study on drop testing a loaded 1911(non series 80/ Swartz) and couldn't get it to discharge no matter how it was dropped. I believe it was Walt Kuleck if memory serves me correct. And while you're at it, you might look into his books too!
    The M1911 Complete Owners Guide Vol 1 & The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide Vol 2
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ncviking View Post
    Some years ago, one of our members did a study on drop testing a loaded 1911(non series 80/ Swartz) and couldn't get it to discharge no matter how it was dropped. I believe it was Walt Kuleck if memory serves me correct.
    No, it was a test from another site, which can be found in the technical issues area of our Home page Site. That test involved dropping just a slide and barrel.

When Walt and Drake did their drop tests with a complete pistol, they found they they COULD induce a discharge with drops from as little as three feet. I have no concerns about the lack of a firing pin safety in a range pistol, but I have modified my thinking to now carry only 1911s with a firing pin safety.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    No, it was a test from another site, which can be found in the technical issues area of our Home page Site. That test involved dropping just a slide and barrel.

When Walt and Drake did their drop tests with a complete pistol, they found they they COULD induce a discharge with drops from as little as three feet. I have no concerns about the lack of a firing pin safety in a range pistol, but I have modified my thinking to now carry only 1911s with a firing pin safety.
    I reckon memory didn't serve me right (not surprising ).
    Whereas, I have seen little example of ND due to dropping a 1911 pistol, I'm sure that it has happened.
    Many manufacturers have gone to a lighter titanium firing pin and heavier firing pin spring.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Walt J Kuleck's test (which is included in the second of his books, as you listed them) included testing with:
    • A standard GI firing pin, in steel
    • A thinner, 9mm firing pin, in steel
    • A GI-thickness firing pin, in titanium
    • A 9mm-tyle firing pin in titanium

All tests were carried out with the same pistol. They started out with a slide drilled for a 9mm firing pin, and bored it out to GI-spec diameter to test it with the thicker firing pin. Predictably, the lighter 9mm firing pin was an improvement over the GI part, but the titanium firing pins made the biggest difference of all.

On the other hand, some don't like titanium firing pins, because when combined with the light mainsprings that some 'smiths prefer, they can induce light strikes.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Thanks again for the info...
    So is the conclusion that a lighter pin with a strong spring reduces the risk.

Was this for muzzle down tests?

Posts liked by others
    Yes, the gun was released so that it would land on the muzzle, from different heights, with a case having a live primer in the chamber.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast