Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 A1 WW2 Reloading

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Thanks members I do not think I will be shooting my Dad's in 45 acp anymore. I will use his Colt .22lr conversion he bought in 1962, still have the original box. He used to use it on unsuspecting shooters after he shot a group in 45. They would flinch thinking about noise and recoil and get a surprise. He never shot the Mauser Red 9 broomhandle he brought back from WW2 because he said US factory ammo for it was way too powerful. I have memberships in a lot of forums, car, reloading, guns and motorcycles. No forum has responded as great as your members. Thanks members!!

Posts liked by others
    Pbiker,
    I would have shot the gun too My antique 22 is my grandfather's 1916 Sedgley Baby Hammerless. It has a broken hammer spring but I wouldn't risk shooting it even if I could find the proper ammo.

Posts liked by others
    Well chalk me up as the odd one!

My Kongsberg Colt is 96 years old and eats @100 full power loads every sunday.
    It dings brass badly but i can live with that, the fun factor is high

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenthief 1 View Post
    Well chalk me up as the odd one!

My Kongsberg Colt is 96 years old and eats @100 full power loads every sunday.
    It dings brass badly but i can live with that, the fun factor is high
    You are hardly alone. Many owners of old, military M1911s and M1911A1s shoot their pistols, some regularly, others perhaps once or twice a year (sort of "ceremonially"). That doesn't really change anything, it just makes you a gambler. Each time you pull the trigger, you are betting that this won't be THE round that breaks the slide.

The problem is, it truly is a gamble. Slides on the older 1911s have been known to break. It's a documented possibility. It's also impossible to predict. I'm not a gambler. At one time I had a nice (albeit refinished) M1911 that appeared to have all the original (or at least correct) parts. Before I read Scott Gahimer's explanation of why we shouldn't shoot the old ones, I went through the exercise of replacing the recoil spring and installing a shock buffer. Then I read Scott's article, and I realized that the only real difference between shooting that pistol and shooting a modern 1911 is that I can see the sights better on the modern pistols. So I never shot the old one. For me, it wasn't worth the risk.

It's entirely a personal decision.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I agree with you it is not worth loosing something that you are very attached to! I have read that one of the main problems is that the old WW2 45acp barrels are only rated for 17,000 #s of pressure. Most say you should go with a new Military barrel rated at 78,000 #s of pressure. They say it also has a lot to do with oal down to 1.20 you get higher pressure than if you are 1.24 or above. Also I found out that Hodgdon uses lab pressure test barrels for their data. It is built to test the minimum extreme dimensions of cartridge specs (SAAMI) which spike higher/faster for a given velocity compared to max spec or loose chamber. That being said I will stay with shooting my Dad's WW2 issue Colt(Remington Rand) 45 with the before mentioned Colt 22lr I have for celebration!!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbiker85 View Post
    I agree with you it is not worth loosing something that you are very attached to! I have read that one of the main problems is that the old WW2 45acp barrels are only rated for 17,000 #s of pressure. Most say you should go with a new Military barrel rated at 78,000 #s of pressure. They say it also has a lot to do with oal down to 1.20 you get higher pressure than if you are 1.24 or above.
    No Sir.

It's completely wrong to say "Most say" what you just wrote. There is only one person out there who is prepared to say AND write something as preposterous as this, and it is one particular barrel and other 1911 parts' seller in California. His claims, supported by deliberately mixing up CUP and Psi pressure units, have been thoroughly debunked... primarily by the thousands of people out there who keep using WWII and WWI barrels, and have not died yet.

He will also sell you a barrel bushing, a special barrel link and a set of sights that will automatically transform your 1911 from a defensive sidearm into a 400-yard offensive weapon. Awesome stuff.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    A military .45 barrel "rated" at 78000 lbs of pressure?
    Wow, that is proof test pressure for a .30-06. Somebody is really dreaming stuff up. And I know who.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    A military .45 barrel "rated" at 78000 lbs of pressure?
    Wow, that is proof test pressure for a .30-06.
    Well he's turning a 5" pistol into a long-range rifle, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    Somebody is really dreaming stuff up. And I know who.
    Many do... I didn't mention his name before because I don't think he deserves further exposure.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I completely agree with Hawkmoon but I wonder what's the use of having a vintage 1911 with a soft frame with a new barrel rated at 78000 lbs of pressure?
    Every man to his taste.

Kind regards.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    He will also sell you a barrel bushing, a special barrel link and a set of sights that will automatically transform your 1911 from a defensive sidearm into a 400-yard offensive weapon. Awesome stuff.
    Oh ... THAT guy.

Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast