Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: I need some help with my colt nickle conversion kit

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

I need some help with my colt nickle conversion kit

I lost my shop to the may3rd, 1999 tornado. In the shop was my colt nickle conversion kit in the box. I am thinking the vintage is late '50s to early '70s.
    I recovered everything except the slide stop (OF COURSE!), the ejector, the guide rod, guide rod spring, recoil spring plug. the colt box.

My question is will a standard guide rod and recoil spring work or does the conversion use special parts?

edited to add 45acp to 22lr conversion kit
    Last edited by a1911 shooter; 26th January 2016 at 18:17.

Posts liked by others
    oops: recoil spring plug

Posts liked by others
    The standard recoil spring guide and plug will work. In fact, some vintages of Conversion did not even come with them, you were expected to use the ones out of the .45. The recoil spring is standard diameter but softer. Wolff says 14 lbs which is the same as for .38 Super.

You need a No 2 slide stop, which is not going to be easy, If one doesn't turn up, I would try a No 3 (.38/9mm) and see if it engaged right.

The ejector is the only truly unique part you say is lost.
    Likes (2) :
    a1911 shooter (26th January 2016), Ric4509 (12th June 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Conversion kit to go from what caliber to what caliber?

I don't understand how Jim can be so specific about slide stops and ejectors without knowing the calibers involved.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    a1911 shooter (26th January 2016)

Posts liked by others
    45 to 22lr
    Jim had it right

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I don't understand how Jim can be so specific about slide stops and ejectors without knowing the calibers involved.
    There are only three Colt Conversions.
    .22 to .45 ACP 112 made.
    .45 to 9mm I don't know how many were made but I have only seen a couple and those not actually in use.
    .45 to .22 Fairly common, I thought a reasonable guess in this case.
    Likes (1) :
    a1911 shooter (27th January 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Sorry for your loss. I have one from 78 in blue. Here apart around a GCNM. I did not get the No. 2 slide stop in the picture and there is a guide rod I leave on the spring that did not come with the kit. I think a regular slide stop will work but you will need a number 2 to hold the slide back after the last round. No. 2s are out there on Ebay but one in Nickle will be hard to find. I think the long ejector is going to be the hard part to find a replacement for.

NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    If you just want a slide stop to get the conversion going, EGW makes a 'Colt Ace slide stop', which I believe is configured as a No2:
    http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=129
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Colt stopped supplying the barrel bushing, recoil spring guide, and recoil spring plug in post-war .22-.45 conversions.
    Really early ones had the kit contents, printed on the lid of the box, edited with a pen, crossing-out the parts that were no longer part of the kit. Later kits had new labels reflecting the change.
    Some report reliable function with a standard .45 slide stop, #3s are easier to get than #2s and might also work.
    The EGW part is of very high quality, and if the pin is a full .200" in diameter, you might get a little better accuracy than with an original Colt part.
    I've bought both extractors and ejectors on ebay, and they show up on gunbroker, too.

Colt also briefly made a kit, consisting of only a barrel and magazine, to convert .38 Supers to 9x23 WIN. I think CDNN had them for about $50, at one time.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Colt also briefly made a kit, consisting of only a barrel and magazine, to convert .38 Supers to 9x23 WIN.
    I thought it was the other way 'round.
    Colt went for a good while claiming that the 9x23 magazine was caliber specific, but the few I heard of ran fine on Super mags.