Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pawn Shop Purchase

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Pawn Shop Purchase

New member but came across this site trying to get some info on my new purchase.

I own/owned several 1911s. They have always had a soft spot in my heart. I've always wanted to do some gunsmithing on them but I've always paid so much that I was too scared to mess them up. So I was in my local pawn shop today and I was pursuing the gun case and they had just put out this little gem. I thought it would be a great project to get to know my 1911s a little better. Price tag on it was $325 and I talked them down to $200. You know, front sight is broken, finish worn off, gonna cost a lot to restore. Turns out they only paid $100 for it so I think we both got a good deal.

IMG_1886[1].jpgIMG_1884[1].jpg

It's an early West Hurley, AOC39XXX serial number, but you could probably tell from the pics. Can anyone tell me the approximate DOM? Also, anything I should look for?

The comp is a basic bushing comp that will go. It will also need to be refinished. I'll probably take it to a gunsmith to replace the front sight since it's broken off. The trigger and safety is mushy compared to my other 1911s. Those will be replaced. It looks like there may be some new parts on it since they're really shiny. But, that could have just been a dremel. Is there any upgrades that I should concentrate on or make sure I do? I'm not really looking to sup it up and make it into something special, I just want to work on something that I'm not afraid to mess up. If it turns into something cool then great.

Any advice and insight is certainly appreciated. I'm going to try and hit the range with it this weekend to see how it runs. Will report back when I do.
    Last edited by schmittychris; 6th November 2014 at 14:46. Reason: misspelling

Posts liked by others
    My first thoughts would be to replace the barrel and bushing, the firing pin, the extractor, and all the springs. If you want to get it blued or re-Parkerized, contact Loren Fogle (foglesgunsmithing.com). He could probably install a new front sight for you, too.

Posts liked by others
    That sounds like a really neat project. I hope it goes well!

Posts liked by others
    Before you spend another dime on it, go to a range and see if it runs. Then take it from there.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Go read our "Poor Man's trigger job", here: http://www.m1911.org/technic20.htm

That will fix your mushy trigger issues.

The comp has to go and then follow Spyros advise, shoot it and then decide what needs to be changed. The old horse may surprise you. Definitely change the springs though.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the advice. I took it apart last night to see what it looked like inside. Someone definitely did some dremel polishing.

Ramp and front rails:
    IMG_1889[1].jpg

Back rails:
    IMG_1894[1].jpg

There was also some polishing done on the bottom of the slide that I didn't get pictures of. I'm going to stop by the range on my way home from work and see how it runs.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats. I find the finish to be perfect. Hope it runs well for you.

Posts liked by others
    This thread may be helpful for determining DoM. http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...-and-date-made

Posts liked by others
    Thanks I found that thread and have an email out to find out.

I took it to the range after work today and it performed better than I thought it would. I ran about 100 rounds through it; a mix of 230gr ball, 200gr flat nose and hornady xtp. I only had a couple failures to feed which I think is due to a weak recoil spring since I could just push the slide forward with my thumb and it would go into battery.

There was a serious issue with blowback though. I think due to the compensator. It was almost unbearable constantly getting peppered in the face. So the bushing will definitely be a priority.

In all I'm pretty happy. I'm excited to start ordering some parts. I'll keep you guys updated in the process. And the finish is growing on me too. It would almost be a shame to take away all of the history that it's gone through.

Posts liked by others
    WOW . . . . Thanks for sharing this from the beginning.
    Good luck and I am looking forward to learning more from your experiences.
    I kinda like that "polished, worn look" . . . . but time will tell what it really needs and where to go from here.

Thanks again . . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast