Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying four magazines?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    One or two spares in addition to the mag that's already inserted. Otherwise, carry a box of cartridges that's real handy if you're so inclined.

Posts liked by others
    That does seem like a lot of ammo. But then I don't know what your situation is.

Posts liked by others
    Yea, I'd have to agree that open carry draws extra attention. Why broadcast? Seems like it would make you a target as much as a deterrent.

Posts liked by others
    If I need more than one spare magazine, I'm in the wrong place.
    Likes (1) :
    grayman (11th November 2017)

Posts liked by others
    I wear Tru-Spec pants and shorts, and have for more than a few years now.

The cargo pockets have two "built in" mag pouches in each that are suitable for either single or double stack mags; for a total of four.

For those keeping up with "current events;" these days, multiple reloads aren't a sign of paranoia, but prudence.

If I'm carrying a 1911, two reloads is the bare minimum.

With a hi-cap pistol, at least one 17 round reload is a bare minimum.

When I must visit, or drive through "bad areas;" my backup is an AR with 30 round reloads in the back seat.

Now, for those who have had actual training (not target shooting); is there anyone here that's been trained to take one or two shots; then stop and see if that's enough to stop the threat? I didn't think so.

When using a skill such as "the zipper," four shots are taken; one to the abdomen, two COM, and a fourth to the head. I shoot that one in about one second, without sights. So, an eight round mag won't last long if faced with multiple threats. Of course, with multiple threats; each will get one shot, until I can determine who needs "seconds."

I've never had a trainer tell me that I should only carry one reload. Or two...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (1) :
    Poohgyrr (6th April 2018)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 23rd January 2017 at 20:46.

Posts liked by others
    What about one of those 28 round drum magazines I've seen pictures of around here (I think). Wouldn't have to reload, but I bet that thing is heavy. I'm guessing it add what, 3 pounds to the gun? Guessing that is what you really need for a Lebman.

Posts liked by others
    Typically around my home town I carry just the one in the gun.

Hiking, I always have 2 spares. Depending on intended town/city of travel destination I will have an extra on me and some in the car.

Posts liked by others
    IMHO, a pistol is something to take care of biz and remove yourself from the threat/problem asap.

Since most confrontations are of close distance, it is shoot, a quick assessment that the threat is no more, and vacate the immediate area...in case post-threat person has the "family and friends program" where they may show up at a moments notice, tis better off not to be there when the program installs itself.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    I carry one extra on my belt, and keep additional magazines in my briefcase.

I share Old Timer's view. Remember, it will all be presented to the grand jury if things break bad. No point in presenting as a nut-job looking for trouble.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC
    Now, for those who have had actual training (not target shooting); is there anyone here that's been trained to take one or two shots; then stop and see if that's enough to stop the threat? I didn't think so.
    I'm a little late, but I just noticed this. My answer is "Yes." In fact, I can't recall any trainer, in person or in a book or in a video, who did NOT teach taking two shots to center of mass, then stopping to assess whether or not the threat had been neutralized. What have you been taught? The alternative to stopping to assess the threat is to shoot to slide lock. What happens if you empty your magazine at an adversary, and as you hit slide lock his buddy pops around the corner and opens fire?

Even the three shot drill is usually taught as a two plus one: two shots to center of mass, assess the threat, then if the threat is still active (body armor?), one shot to the head.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MAC702 (4th November 2017)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast