Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying four magazines?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Carrying four magazines?

When I carry my 1911, instead of having one magazine extra, I have gone with two spare magazines for a long time. I was thinking of going to four with another mag carrier, which would give me round count of forty-one on my belt. Has anyone else out there have a similar set up? How has it worked for you? Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Considering recent events I've been looking at those 8-mag carriers.
    "Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you." --Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (25th January 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Not sure what your situation is, you obviously have to determine what your risks are. I personally carry just one extra 8 rounder. Sometimes I carry 2. But. I might carry more if I thought the risk justified it, or I might carry a second gun, or I might keep my rifle handy. Like I said, it depends on what risks you are facing.

Wade
    Likes (1) :
    MAC702 (4th November 2017)

Posts liked by others
    Although in a strictly legal sense open carry is allowed in my state, the reality is that open carry will definitely attract attention, and probably a visit from Officer Friendly. Concealed carry is the word. I carry one spare magazine in a flapped leather carrier that's intended for a folding knife. Lots of people around here carry a folder or a Leatherman, so if someone spots that it doesn't send up any alarms. I think even a dual mag pouch would just scream out, "HEY! I'M CARRYING A GUN HERE!" Four mags IMHO would be out of the question. Even the nearby local police department that carries single stack SIGs only carry two mags in addition to the one in the pistol.

It comes down to a personal decision of what you think will be "enough" to defend yourself and your family in any scenario you're likely to encounter. For a real world example, the off-duty officer who initially engaged the shooter at the Salt Lake City mall a few years ago pinned the shooter down and took him off his mission until the uniforms could show up. The off-duty officer was carrying a Kimber compact with just the magazine in the pistol, so he had a maximum of eight rounds (7+1) available, and possibly only 7. It got the job done.

He was interviewed afterward and he said he wished he had a spare magazine, but I don't think there was any sense that he might have needed four. You're not out to fight World War III. It seems to me that carrying so much ammo might encourage a spray-and-pray approach, and that's not a good idea in any setting where there may be other people. If there is an active shooter and somebody shoots back, unless he's cornered more than likely he'll move on rather than engage in a fire fight against an armed opponent. They're after easy targets, not hard ones.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Danoobie (28th May 2017)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 18th December 2015 at 05:39.

Posts liked by others
    I'm typically a one extra mag guy. Are you looking for quad mag pouches? They are available, but I'd probably go with multiple singles if I were carrying more than one.

Posts liked by others
    If you feel the need for 4 magazines, you might want to consider having a back up gun. It gives you more options as a spare gun in case your main goes down or you lose it. It gives you the option to be able to arm your Spouse or adult son/ daughter, etc.
    For a few years I carried a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. One spare mag for the 19 I had the option to use the Glock 19 mags in the 26 if I needed to.

Posts liked by others
    two spares for me, whatever firearm I carry, two is one and one is none.
    I just got a new holster for my SA operator, so looking for a nice mag pouch to match at this time.
    however I have been using the Blackhawk double mag holders without issue

Posts liked by others
    In my opinion we are (so far) allowed to carry only because of a right to self defence not because we're living in a war-time scenario, being “prepared” is prudent but being paranoid is crazy, I woudn't be influenced by the marketing that one needs 32 rounds just to go to the milkman. The funny thing is that most of the times people who tend to open carry or carry a lot of spare mags are the less aware of their surroundings!
    My 2 cents
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Last edited by Sergio Natali; 5th August 2016 at 03:25.

Posts liked by others
    If you need 30 shots of 45 acp, then you really need an AR-15. I carry one spare GI style to go with my GI cocked and locked.

Posts liked by others
    Carry what makes you feel safe, but I wonder when was the last time an ordinary civilian was ever in a prolonged firefight that needed reloading?
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (1) :
    MAC702 (4th November 2017)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast