Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: NightHawk Custom refinish project

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

NightHawk Custom refinish project

I got into firearms rather late in life thanks to my first pleasure trip to Texas. I was a 65 year old Canadian who had never fired a handgun. In fact, I had never even held a handgun.

After a couple of SIG’s and a S&W PC revolver, I became convinced that I needed to own a Night Hawk Custom pistol in order to become a whole person. I joined all the popular gun forums but got most of my encouragement from http://forum.m1911.org/forumdisplay....ghthawk-Custom and some of the great guys that used to hang there every night.

Eventually I ordered a Predator ll with a bunch of options and in a colour scheme that was pretty unique for the time.

I still think that this gun was among the most stunning ever built by NHC. When it was delivered to me in Canada, there was a minor flaw because part of the slide hadn’t been dehorned the way I wanted. Larry Lyles was the customer service guy at the time and I think he was as good as they get at that job. He told me not to worry and that the gun would be corrected when I decided to return it for refreshing.

This year, I decided to do just that and got into contact with Bob Reeves who took on the job with such enthusiasm that I thought he was Larry reincarnated. Believe me, Bob takes second place to no one at the CS job. I had some special needs and can’t thank Bob enough for the effort he put in on my behalf.

My Predator ll was showing wear and there were a number of small features I wanted to change:

Originally, I had an ambi safety installed as I was shooting IPSC with it. I’m super fussy about some things and didn’t like the design of the right side control as it wasn’t symmetrical with the strong side. So I scrapped it and had NHC install their best single.

There was part of the slide that should have been beveled better. I pointed it out to NHC at the time and we agreed that would be addressed when I ever decided to get the whole gun refinished.

The shortened and countersunk slide stop has become popular on full customs so of course I had to have that done. :-)
    Another popular design feature on the high-end guns, are French Borders so they were done as well as the muzzle ball cuts which make the front end of the predator look even more “burley”. I would not enjoy the "bad guy's" view of this pistol.

Here are a view rushed shots of the pistol as refinished in "Black Nitride". The only features that aren't really apparent in the pictures are the improved dehorning/beveling all round and the French borders which are thinly cut.

I like everyone of the features I asked for and the execution is flawless. There’s no way you might be able to say that it’s not a brand new gun. There are other options available but not many. I’ll bet she is one of a kinds now. I really like the Dirty Olive contrast of the grips.

NHC is supposed to be a "semi-custom" shop but you would never know it from the way Bob and the team handled my project. From beginning to end they made me feel as if I was there only and best customer.

It was a great experience and I know I have a "super star" pistol made by the best in the business.
    Night Hawk Custom Predator II 45, SIG P-210 Target Legend, Stag Arms AR15, CMMG M4-LEP .22 Upper and a Tactical Solutions .22 upper for the 1911.
    Likes (1) :
    t-bird (13th December 2015)

Last edited by hercster; 12th December 2015 at 18:41.

Posts liked by others
    Nice!
    I don't think you could get much better than that.
    Beauty is skin deep but ugly goes right to the bone.

Posts liked by others
    Nicely done, and welcome back Sir!
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    The pistol turned out great hercster! I'm glad you are happy with it!