Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about defective 1911's

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ncviking View Post
    I think that salesman is full of nonsense....substandard parts and workmanship...really?.....

Just my .02
    Years ago a salesman who wanted to push Kimber over Colt gave me similar nonsense. I now have several Colts and a Kimber. All of which have lasted longer than the dealer who told me not to buy a Colt.
    Likes (1) :
    ca survivor (28th October 2016)

Posts liked by others
    my favorite 1911 are Colt, I have other brands but Colt is the one, for me.

Posts liked by others
    Rock Island is a really good brand if you can tolerate cast frames. I have no problem with them as utility pieces and use Rock Islands as base guns for builds. I gut them so MIM parts don't matter -- they're ask replaced.

I won't own Kimber. To expensive for what they are. I did own a couple Kimber parts. The MIM safety gouged out on the plunger, and the magazine was less-than-reliable. I bought it because it was a military style, which I prefer for certain ammo, and made by a large manufacturer. Didn't figure they'd get it wrong but it just didn't work well until I installed a Wilson follower... And even now it's strictly a range mag.

Additionally, I've seen a lot of reports of lug bump on Kimber due to tight tolerances that should really be hand fitted. One of my Rock Islands had the same problem but cost $500 less.

I'd like a Colt. It will be my "pretty gun" for wearing on special occasions, or something like that. Cast frames and plastic frames fall into the same utilitarian category for me, which is why I carry them. Forged is in another world.

I think Colt's poor rep came from their experimentation with sintered metal parts long ago.

Josh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12