Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New look of our E-zine

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

New look of our E-zine

Please use this thread to tell us how you like the new way our E-zine looks and functions.

Thank you for your input.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

This is the first look at any of your E-zines for me, but I think it works well. Simple enough to navigate, especially if you are used to using these forums. If there was one critique though, it might be on the initial image dimensions. Might just be my monitor, but it seems wider than is necessary.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your opinion, really appreciated.

Before deciding on the new layout, we went through a lot of discussions about it and we tested it using various computers, Operating Systems and browsers. Obviously, it is impossible to test the layout with every existing browser, under every existing monitor resolution etc. As far as I could tell from my tests (and those of Spyros and Hawkmoon), the picture was resizing properly, as I grew or shrunk the browser window. Have a look at the two images below:

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 08.43.43.jpg

This one shows the picture with the browser window shrunk a lot.

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 08.44.14.jpg

This is with the browser window enlarged a lot.

As you can see, the picture still shows the contents and everything. We even tried it on a smartphone to make sure that it works with those things too.

Now, since you are reporting an issue, we need to deal with it, so please let me know what Operating System you are using, what browser (exact version) and what monitor do you have (I need to know its analysis, i.e. how many pixels by how many pixels it can display).

Let me know and we'll try to get to the bottom of it.

One more thing: please visit this page: http://ezine.m1911.org/index_new.html

This layout uses a fixed width page (of 1100 pixels) to show our introductory page. How does that layout appears on your system? The layout of the introductory page requires a browser window of 1048 pixels width, at a minimum.

Thanks again for your comment!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    Last edited by John; 18th November 2015 at 02:00.

Posts liked by others
    I like the cover of this issue of the E-zine. It is interesting captured my attention, and teased me with the listing of what is inside. Once inside I found the layout easy to navigate, and I started to read articles without a lot of unnecessary clicking.

On a different note I found your thoughts interesting and feel that I got a glimpse of the nuts and bolts behind the M1911 scene as well as an overall view of what's going on in the gun world.
    Last edited by lUIGININE; 18th November 2015 at 02:30. Reason: changed wording to view instead of few

Posts liked by others
    It seems to resize fine for me both under Safari Version 9.0.2 (11601.3.9) and Firefox 42.0 Running OS X 10.11.2 Beta (15C47a).

Navigation works well too. I'll try to remember to try it on my iPad, which is what I use to read electronic magazines.

Which brings me to an observation. I'm sure it is an expensive and complicated proposition but when I think "e-zine" I think of something more closely replicating a magazine, such as those produced by the NRA app, BMWCCA app or Zinio.

But yes, this works and anyone having any experience with online forums should have little trouble reading it.

Robert.
    NRA Endowment Life Member.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Are these electronic magazines? If so, can you please provide me with some links?

Thanks!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    They are the electronic versions of magazines. For instance if you subscribe to Hot Rod, Car Craft or any one of a number of other magazines electronically you get them through the zinio app and NRA (National Rifle Association) and BMWCCA (BMW Car Club of America) both supply member magazines through an app. I don't know how to show you one without a subscription, and functionality varies a bit (NRA for instance provides on occasion flashy graphics introduction (which I don't like)). While others are more like reading a regular magazine (including layout) that you can simply swipe to turn the page.

M1911.org e-zine is the only "magazine" that I read that is exclusively online (no paper version) so perhaps this is exactly what a e-zine should be, but its just that when I think "-zine" I think magazine with a similar interface and experience. I hope that makes some sense, It could very well be that I am mixed up - it wouldn't be the first time.

Zinio's website is www.zinio.com though I'm not sure if you will be able to tell much.

Robert.
    The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedients, and by parts. - Edmund Burke 1777
    Last edited by DuckRyder; 20th November 2015 at 09:42.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Well, we do not want to make the E-zine very much like a printed magazine but in electronic form. The reason being that in the format it is today, we have the flexibility of adding things even in the middle of a quarter.

To tell you the truth, there is an argument between the members of the team, if that is how we should do it (add content after the issue is published). I believe this is a strong advantage of our way of doing things, have a live E-zine where content can be added as the opportunity arises. Some others believe it is not the correct way.

Any ideas are of course welcome!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    I was hoping someone else would weigh in, but I'll throw my two cents in for what it is worth.

Put me with the "should not" crowd. It is just my opinion or preference which is no more "right" or "wrong" than the next guys, but once an "issue" is "published" it should be done.

This goes back to my opinion that a "_-zine" should be kinda like a paper magazine though, which you've said is not something you want. To me personally though if it isn't like a paper magazine then it isn't a "_-zine" it is something else. That doesn't make it bad though it just makes it something else.

I accept that this is probably an archaic outlook...

Robert.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckRyder View Post
    This goes back to my opinion that a "_-zine" should be kinda like a paper magazine though, which you've said is not something you want. To me personally though if it isn't like a paper magazine then it isn't a "_-zine" it is something else. That doesn't make it bad though it just makes it something else.

I accept that this is probably an archaic outlook...
    Being fairly archaic myself, I agree with you. The ability to use hot links instead of writing "See article on page ##" is a great feature but, beyond that, I don't much care for the jumbled, frenetic look that some on-line "magazines" offer. I think where our e-zine is at the moment isn't too bad. As a former graphic designer who has produced a couple of books, I do wish there could be more flexibility in formatting (or "flowing") text around photos, but what we have is clean and readable, and that's the important thing.

I am one of the dissenters who doesn't agree with El Jefe about adding content midway through an issues run. The intent of the e-zine is to put out four issues a year, so each issue is current for three months. Once the next issue comes out, links to the e-zine site will lead to the new issue. not any of the old issues. I think the manufacturers or vendors of products we review, and the authors of articles we run, are entitled to expect that their product or article will be featured for a full three-month run rather than disappearing into the archives after two months or six weeks or ...

Of course, the entire discussion is further confused as more and more print magazines change their visual format to look more like a web page -- even though there aren't any hot links on a printed page. I have dropped my subscriptions to a couple of printed gun magazines because of their new graphic layout even more than because of the deterioration of their editorial contact. I pick up a book or a magazine to read, to be informed or entertained, not to have my visual sense and my brain assaulted.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 22nd November 2015 at 12:05.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast