Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Colt

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries

Mystery Colt

Please use this thread to discuss our article, on a mystery Colt pistol, as it appears in our E-zine.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Now that's an interesting pistol. Mystery is certainly the word. I assign a carry "mission" to it then I remove the justification for that and make it a comp pistol, etc, etc, etc. Would be nice to see if the estate had in ammunition associated with it. Was there a particular style magazine with it? Thanks for the post.

Posts liked by others
    The only mystery is who did the work, neatly done but unmarked as to source.
    I had two guns of the type set up by a local shop. My guy didn't sign his work, either.

The first was my IPSC Modified gun, which had to fit The Box. I had a Government Model's slide cut off to just over Commander length and fitted with a Marvel single chamber compensator. A GM reverse recoil spring plug and FLGR allowed me to still use GM recoil springs. Overall barrel + comp length was about 5 3/8".

Then I had him build a "carry comp" on an OACP the same size as the gun here. A Marvel single chamber compensator with cone sleeve replaced the big barrel bushing. A Commander length reverse recoil spring plug and FLGR protruded out under the compensator body just like the one here. Barrel + comp length was 4 1/4".

Then I got into IDPA and with the enthusiasm of a fresh convert, took off all my compensators. I don't miss the big IPSC comp guns but I wish I had left these two alone. They ran so smoothly with the long recoil springs.

As to a "Match OACP", the same gunsmith here completely accurized one for another customer. He got a Kart barrel in it with some real tricky machining and fitted everything well. This is really one of those "more accurate than I am" guns because it is limited only by its short sight radius. Out of a Ransom Rest, it shoots as accurately as a tight 1911.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 16th November 2015 at 14:31.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter View Post
    Now that's an interesting pistol. Mystery is certainly the word. I assign a carry "mission" to it then I remove the justification for that and make it a comp pistol, etc, etc, etc. Would be nice to see if the estate had in ammunition associated with it. Was there a particular style magazine with it? Thanks for the post.
    As far as I know, no magazines came with that pistol. The current owner purchased a Wilson Combat magazine to try it out.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    Thanks and stay safe over there.

Posts liked by others
    Is it me or does that barrel look bent?

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I do not see any indication that the barrel is bent. But then again, there are no pictures showing the whole barrel.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC

Posts liked by others
    It reminds me of Austin Behlert work. Although I don't know how you would check that out.
    Army Veteran NRA Patron Life Member and North American Hunting Club Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Hi, im new here, but I think i can shed some(some) light on this gun. It appears to me to have initially built by a gunsmith in California Lee Brown. Jerry "lee" Brown of Brown's Gun Craft. I believe he was in Van Nuys, and I also believe he passed away in 2004. The comp and guide rod system im pretty sure are his. As for the hammer and checkering??? I guessing that was done by someone else at a later date. Lee had his "comp-carry" officers model reviewed in one of the gun magazines in the mid/late 80's. I cant remember which magazine, but it was a nice article. After reading the article and talking with Lee, I had him build me a gun that looks almost Identical... minus the hammer mod and checkering.
    I will try to post some pictures of my gun when I get home. Im sure the comp and guide system are his. Mystery Solved!

Posts liked by others
    Still standin' by for those pics...
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast