Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, TandemKros or Tekmat, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me Auto-Ordnance 9MM

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New to me Auto-Ordnance 9MM

I'd been looking for a 9MM 1911 for some time, happened upon this unloved pistol at one of my LGS and took her home. It shows a West Hurley address so probably predates the Kahr takeover if I understand correctly. Tested it in the trap tonight, it functioned well - even feeding some 147 gr. subsonic that I didn't think would run at all. There are some things to fix including replacing the safety/slide stop plungers and springs, probably a new slide stop, an ambi safety (yup, I'm a lefty and need one), dealing with the magazine that won't drop free and I may replace all of the springs just on principle. Last on the list might be better sights, but that'll wait until I have all of the operational issues taken care of.

I haven't worked on a 1911 in a long time. I work for a firearms manufacturer, but we build ARs and this will be a welcome change!

I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!
    Likes (1) :
    John (2nd November 2015)

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 17th October 2015 at 22:14.

Posts liked by others
    Nice! looking forward to hearing about your progress and range report! Your AO is in great shape!
    james
    Last edited by picketpin; 17th October 2015 at 23:03.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, James!

I've made the following repairs/mods so far:

Thoroughly cleaned the pistol. It still had what appeared to be the original packing grease in it and was filthy throughout. Hand functions much smoother.
    Fixed non-drop-free magazine issue - two grip screw bushings were protruding into the mag well. Dremeled them flush with the mag well inside wall and refinished them. Mags now drop out with alacrity.
    Grip screw bushings loose and releasing from frame when grip screws turned - there doesn't appear to be a chamfer inside the mag well to stake them (I have the correct tool) so out came the red Locktite.
    Grip safety sticking in the depressed position and "clicking" when released - correctly fitted the grip safety. Noted that the hammer strut appears to be bent and it will be replaced soon.
    Fitted ambi safety, it happened to be a Kimber stainless part that was kicking around in my junkbox. Still needs replacement safety and slide stop plungers and spring, on order from Brownell's, to finish fitting.
    The slide stop turns out to be a Wilson part, the weak slide stop plunger spring is the problem (see above).
    Fitted stainless barrel bushing that was likewise taking up space in my junkbox. Reduced the rattling quite a bit, we'll see if it gives good accuracy when I range test it.
    I'm retired. That's right, retired. I don't want to hear about the cop who stopped you today or how you didn't think you should get a ticket. That just makes me grumpy!
    Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 21st October 2015 at 01:16.

Posts liked by others
    Nice. I wasn't aware that Auto-Ordnance ever made a 9mm version.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I wasn't either, had never seen one.

Took it out briefly this evening for a quick range test at 7 and 15 yards. The test was cut short as the weak safety/slide stop plunger spring allowed the slide stop to creep out, tying up the pistol. One malfunction caused by this condition, a failure to eject last empty case.

Ammo used was Blazer aluminum case 115 gr. FMJ. The usual sad group disclaimers apply... middle-age eyes, standard creepy trigger, the sun was in my eyes, dinky little milspec sights that are hard for me to see and so forth...

7 yards

15 yards

Likes (1) :
    picketpin (21st October 2015)

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 21st October 2015 at 21:59.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
    Took it out briefly this evening for a quick range test at 7 and 15 yards. The test was cut short as the weak safety/slide stop plunger spring allowed the slide stop to creep out, tying up the pistol. One malfunction caused by this condition, a failure to eject last empty case.
    The plunger doesn't act to prevent the slide stop from backing out of the frame. That shouldn't happen, because the inner lug of the slide stop can't get past the slide except when the take-down notch is properly aligned -- and even at those very brief moments, there's normally no lateral pressure on the slide stop to push it out.

You mentioned that you're a lefty. Check your hand position -- are you possibly pressing against the slide stop when shooting? Also look closely at the slide stop lug inside the pistol. Look for touches of brass coloration on the lug. There shouldn't be any. If you see brass marks, that means the bullets are scraping on the lug as they feed, and that can cause the slide stop to back out.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Good points, Hawkmoon.

No brass marks on the stop lug and when slowly inserting a magazine loaded with a single FMJ I have observed that the round comes nowhere close to the lug. The slide stop inner lug is tall enough that the stop can't be pushed out except through the takedown notch, but it's barely tall enough. It's certainly possible that I'm hitting the tip of the slide stop on the right side of the frame with my right thumb in recoil, being a left-handed shooter. That's happened before, but never enough to cause the slide stop to back out over four decades or so of shooting 1911s of various descriptions (I currently have a Para LDA single-column and it doesn't happen on that pistol). I've cut a detent into the slide stop anyway, where the plunger rests when the slide stop is at its lowest position. Tested that to make sure that an empty magazine can still activate the slide stop and trimmed the end of the slide stop shaft just above flush with the frame. We'll see if that stops the problem from happening again.
    Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 22nd October 2015 at 00:39.

Posts liked by others
    Got a few more tasks done this week:

Fitted new safety/slide stop plungers and spring
    Finished fitting the ambi safety
    Fitted new EGW sights - purchased and used the Brownell's jig to fit the front sight, a tool anyone working on 1911 sights should have. The front sight was easy but the rear sight needed some fitting.

Was going to take it out today but was just too bushed after attending the Nevada Day celebration in Carson City. Hopefully will be able to get it sighted in tomorrow, weather permitting.

Here's a progress photo:

Posts liked by others
    Nicely done.

I have a question though: are you 100% sure this is a Kimber thumb safety? It doesn't look like any Kimber safety I've seen. It could be an old King's.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    Not really. It was in a Kimber package, had been in my junkbox for years. The offside lever is retained in the Kimber style - did King's do that? I don't remember if they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast