Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norinco 1911a1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Norinco 1911a1

Norinco has been manufacturing 1911 for several decades now. I wonder how and exactly when they started.
    Somebody told me that apparently they received some machinery directly from Colt at the end of WWII is that possible? Or maybe they simply copied the M1911A1 as they copy everything else?
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.

Posts liked by others
    they picked them up from off the ground during the war, curiosity!!

Posts liked by others
    Something I didn't know. Must be the truth though; being on the internet and all.

As of 2013, the pistol is made under license instead of copying with Colt manufacturing machinery, due to an agreement between Norinco and Colt in order to stop Norinco from producing the Norinco CQ rifle. Importation into the United States was blocked by trade rules in 1993 but Norinco still manage to import the weapon into Canada and successfully adopted by IPSC shooters, gunsmiths and firearms enthusiasts there because of the cheaper price of the pistol than the other M1911s.

In the 1950s, the Republic of China Army used original M1911A1s, and the batches are now still used by some forces. In 1962, Taiwan copied the M1911A1 as the T51 pistol, and it saw limited use in the Army. After that, the T51 was improved and introduced for export as the T51K1. Now the pistols in service are replaced by locally-made Beretta 92 pistols- the T75 pistol.

Posts liked by others
    I doubt that first part.
    Norinco was established in 1980 and the 1911A1 knockoff did not show up here until 1991. I doubt they were made on Colt machinery or otherwise by license. I consider them a straight commercial copy.

We furnished a lot of real 1911s to the Nationalist Chinese during WWII and many of those were taken over by the Red Chinese at the end of the war. They did not like the kick and they did not like the trouble of supplying a nonstandard caliber. So they converted some number of them to 7.62x25 to go along with their Tokarevs and submachine guns. A few made it home along with the large number of well worn and obsolete Broomhandle Mausers dumped on the US market in the 1980s.

Posts liked by others
    Yeah I think it's fantasy too however they sure do / did manufacture a nice basic 1911.

Posts liked by others
    Norinco used the first 3-D printers. Sorry I couldn't help myself. My Norinco is the most accurate 1911 that I own after I built it.

Posts liked by others
    I've heard so many versions of this story my head hurts: either Norinco got the machinery, or they got a Colt licence, or (and this was something someone told me as a matter of commonly-known fact) Colt doesn't make any guns at all anymore, don't I know they've been out of business for years? All its stuff is now made by Norinco, imported and rebranded as Colt.

The internet is a wonderful thing.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter
    Likes (1) :
    imashooter (28th April 2016)

Posts liked by others
    Are they really made from old railroad rails??

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Art1 View Post
    Are they really made from old railroad rails??
    No, they're not.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
    I've heard so many versions of this story my head hurts: either Norinco got the machinery, or they got a Colt licence, or (and this was something someone told me as a matter of commonly-known fact) Colt doesn't make any guns at all anymore, don't I know they've been out of business for years? All its stuff is now made by Norinco, imported and rebranded as Colt.

The internet is a wonderful thing.
    Now that's funny. Reckon' it's true?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast