Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: First 2011 Build, Steelmaster Clone, Need Help!!!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

First 2011 Build, Steelmaster Clone, Need Help!!!

Hello all,

I'm building my first Race Gun just as a project to kill boredom. I have never built a 1911/2011 style pistol from scratch but have done many upgrades and customization work.

I am starting with a Limited-10 2011 style full length aluminum frame. I will be using a Caspian Commander length slide and STI Trubor 4.15" barrel with built in compensator blank. I am using all STI and EGW internals as well.

I need to know if it is possible to modify the barrel which has a Wilson/Nowlin ramp to fit my frame which is cut for a Para/Clark ramp?

Could I use bedding compound to put a spacer in the frame?

I also have a new 6" barrel with a Para/Clark cut but it's a bushing barrel and I have no way to cut and thread it for a cone comp.

I have a small milling machine but no lathe currently. It has taken a lot of saving to gather all of these parts and I got a really good deal on the Trubor barrel and would love to use it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by sevenla; 19th August 2015 at 09:29.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenla View Post
    I need to know if it is possible to modify the barrel which has a Wilson/Nowlin ramp to fit my frame which is cut for a Para/Clark ramp?
    I don't think so. Clark/Para ramped barrels have extra material behind the barrel feet, in the vertical area (curved in these barrels, flat in Wilson/Nowlin ones). So you'd need to add material to your barrel, not remove it, to turn it into a Para/Clark barrel.

I'm sorry but I think you need another barrel, and IIRC STI only sells barrels with the Wilson/Nowlin ramp.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter