Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Point shooting

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by grayman View Post
    I was wondering why I don't hear about many people training like this? seems like good defensive training for under 10yds or 10Ft It seems everyone's all about "gotta get a good sight picture, line up your sight 's on the target" which Is all fine and dandy during the day but, low or no light.
    So what do you guy's think about point shoot training? and do you train?
    I think the reason you don't see point shooting mentioned much is because of the number of people who are involved in sport shooting. This part of the forum is "Practice and Training", if there was a forum group entitled "Tactics and Training", I believe your question would be answered with different types of advice.

There is a huge difference between sport and combat shooting, sport shooting is a timed event, kind of like drag racing. Combat shooting is based upon responses to situational awareness, more like desert off road racing....360° up and down awareness vs what's in front targets.

During the maelstrom of a lethal force confrontation, mindset, skillset and toolset are priorities. ...and in this order. One needs to prepare for being pushed, pulled and bummed while remaining focused upon assailant(s), the ability to walk or jump over obstacles. ....which means having the ability to use peripheral vision while engaging.

There's much more to consider, but yes, point shooting is more useful during real life confrontations than shaving times during sport shooting competition.
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc View Post
    The more likely scenario is diminished light. The parking lot of a store for example. Think about it. There is enough light for you to find your car, and walk to it. You can see your sights. Even inside your house, there will be some light coming in from street lights, the moon, etc. If you feel the need for help, add night sights.

As someone mentioned earlier, contact shooting to keep someone from grabbing your gun, is a valid form of point shooting. But once you have enough space to extend your arms, you should be on your sights.
    Garrettwc brings up some very good points which relate to everyday situations. Before these new fangled night sights, bottled water and automatic transmissions, we used to train to use the side of the slide in very low light conditions, and I was amazed at how accurate I could get with practice. What is called 'point shooting" now, we called contact shooting. That was pushing off the target while drawing and firing. Never thought to try it at 10 yards. More like 5 feet or less. But, I now have something new to try at the range when I go tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12