Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Forged Frames

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Forged Frames

I called STI this morning and learned that only two of their pistols feature forged steel frames, i.e., the Target Master and the Range Master. I was surprised and disappointed given the cost of these guns. I am leary of cast steel frames because I have experienced the demise of a pistol due to a cracked frame.

Posts liked by others
    For what it's worth, FN had durability problems with the forged frame of their .40 S&W version of the Hi-Power. Once they went to cast, the problems went away.

Ruger's old "bomb-proof" P-Series guns, P85/P89/P90/etc., were cast aluminum.

STI's Trojan has a cast frame and is one of the more popular competition 1911's and I don't recall seeing any complaints about them wearing out faster than anything else. All of Caspian's frames used my many top gunsmiths are also cast. I don't think this is something I'd be concerned about, but it is your money, buy what you like.

Posts liked by others
    Man, is the traffic slow on the forum. I just realized I was the first answer to a six month old post!

Posts liked by others
    I think it's just the STI page, which I can understand since scarcer than hens teeth. I've considered getting one for a couple of years but no one in either FL or MI where I live now stocks them. I have a hard time shelling out a lot of cash without being able to handle a item first.

Posts liked by others
    Tisas uses a cast frame and neither of the two I own have given me the slightest problem.