Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Is the 1911 reliable in 9mm?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Is the 1911 reliable in 9mm?

Over the course of 50 years of shooting, I've had two 1911s, both Colts, both in .45acp. At this late stage, I'd like to add another 1911 to my collection, but am considering a 9mm 1911. In that the pistol would be a self defense piece, it has to be 100% reliable. So, I wonder if the 9mm round is reliable in the 1911. I would probably opt for an Officer size pistol.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    Mine is.

But it's a 5" barreled model, and a double-stack [Para] to boot. I didn't get it for self-defense (it's kinda heavy) but on reliability alone, it would fit the bill.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I just bought 2. I bought the Colt New Agent and Colt Defender both in 9mm. I had to send the New Agent to Colt because it would not cycle. Got it back and shoots like a dream. The Defender was a used gun and was a little worried. Shot it Thursday and it shoots a group about the size of a quarter at 7yards. Had 2 others shoot it and they had the same results. I would yes they are reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks guys.

Posts liked by others
    My 9mm Springfield full side is as reliable as the 45's. A friend has a 9mm in a commander - compact size and has had the same good experience. It is a Rock Island, I think.

Posts liked by others
    I have a 9mm Commander that is as reliable as my .45 ACP 1911's.
    IMHO, the 1911 design is not dependent on caliber but rather the overall design and proper implementation.

IIRC, JMB originally began the design around the .38.
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot
    Dominus Vobiscum . . . <))>(

Posts liked by others
    Another vote on the + side of 9mm-My Citadel CS 3.5 officers length and my Kimber Pro Aegis have both been very reliable
    KRUNCHNIK
    THE CROW
    PRIMARY-KIMBER ULTRA CARRY II

Posts liked by others
    I've had one for almost five years now that's extremely reliable; no different in that regard than my .45acp 1911's.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer