Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: pit bull recoil spring

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

pit bull recoil spring

Here's my problem the coil on the left Is the Wolf spring #22 on the right what came factory.
    I did notice the wolf 42318 #18 and the 42320 #20 springs looked like a better fit wondering what other people have used.

Posts liked by others
    Not sure what a "Pitbull" is. I'm pretty sure that it's not an Auto-Ordnance product.

Posts liked by others
    Yes it is... or was.

Posts liked by others
    Yes, It Is an Auto Ordnance, not sure when they stopped making them I've had this one about 20yrs now.
    The real kick In the pants Is at the time I bought It the dealer offered me a colt officer for the same price because he didn't have Auto Ordnance In stock(SIGH). Oh well, I pretty happy with what I got I haven't had any problems with feeding or extracting or jams.

Posts liked by others
    You mention the spring on the left and the spring on the right, but you didn't mention the one in the center. Was that also original?

The spring on the right looks like a smaller diameter. I'm going to guess that the diameter of the guide rod is .250 inches. If so, then the original setup was probably a dual spring-within-a-spring, like the Colt Officers ACP. Wolff doesn't make a replacement double spring set for the Officers, but they do sell a special 22-pound single spring with the closed end wound smaller to fir the .250" guide rod. It's listed in their catalog under Colt Officers ACP.

If the new spring you have has the reduced diameter coil at the closed end, go ahead and use it. Just be sure to check for coil stacking (spring bind) before shooting it. If you find stacking, clip a half coil at a time from the open end until there is no stacking.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I'm guessing, both springs on the right are part of the same, double-spring setup.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    New one on me. I'd never heard of it before.

Posts liked by others
    Yes you are correct sir, extreme left Is the wolf the middle and right (with the guide rod In It) are the factory double spring system.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by grayman View Post
    Yes you are correct sir, extreme left Is the wolf the middle and right (with the guide rod In It) are the factory double spring system.
    So your guide rod probably measures .250" in diameter. If so, the correct Wolff spring is #42322, which is what you have. When you install it, check for spring bind. If you don't know what that is or how to check for it, there's an article on it somewhere, probably in our "Gunsmithing" discussion area.

That single Wolff spring replaces both of your original springs. Don't try to reuse the inner spring with the new one.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside